PDA

View Full Version : Converting JAA to A&P?

Commander1
24th Nov 2006, 12:58
Hi there my name is Sarah im 20 and im from the West of Scotland.

I am wondering if it is possible to convert a UK mechanic license to an A&P to work over in the USA?

If not, what ways is there possible to work as an aircraft mechanic over there?

Thank you

BAe146s make me cry
24th Nov 2006, 16:00
No exemptions exist to convert any EASA Part 66 to FAR Part 65 A&P.
3 exams, an oral & practical examination must be undertaken for issue.
Experience on 'N' registered A/C and the neccessary requirement to hold such a licence also essential.

Call the FAA London IFO on Monday and speak to Kim (or Keith)
LHR : 0208 754 8819 For more info.

Alternately, refer www.faa.gov (http://www.faa.gov)

Regards

BAe146 AND RJs???:{

Commander1
25th Nov 2006, 15:40
3 exams, an oral & practical examination must be undertaken for issue.
Experience on 'N' registered A/C and the neccessary requirement to hold such a licence also essential.

Hi there, where would i be able to get experiance on N registered aircraft when i am in the UK and wouldn't i need the A&P license to work on such aircraft?

Also as you said above, would i only need to get them and then be able to be issued with a FAA A&P license?

I have always fancied moving to the US, my boyfriend is from there but we're not sure if we would have a better life there or here with regards to salary etc.

What do you think?

Cheers

LME (GOD)
26th Nov 2006, 09:43
If you have 3 years broad experience you should have no problem with the 10 day course culminating in the 3 tests. The only problem you may have is that the FAA will not let you sit for an A&P unless you are working for an airline or company that needs it. This basically means that unless you are required to sign off N-reg aircraft you have no chance. Even if you work in a hangar on heavy checks will not count as any work done is on company approval.
Hope this helps and good luck.:rolleyes:

matkat
28th Nov 2006, 13:59
The requirement to work on "N" registered A/C is as far as I am aware not relevent nowadays I know of several People who took it and did not need to show such requirement when I took(1992) mine all you had to do was have your experience endorsed by the CAA which was a bit of a pain but I believe they will do it these days on payment of the appropriate fee (surprise!!) when you get that you go to the states have an interview with an FAA surveyor and if you meet the relevent criteria you will be allowed to sit the necessary exams, good luck.

Commander1
29th Nov 2006, 09:48
So it is possible then?

I'd rather get at least 4 years experiance here then move over.

Logical?

Thanks alot :)

BAe146s make me cry
29th Nov 2006, 11:16
Well, call the FAA International Field Office! At least confirm what Matkat has suggested is possible. Circa 2001 for me at the Love Field FAA office, it plainly had to be 'experience on 'N' registered A/C.'

On the work front, 'N' Reg Atlas/Polar B747-2/400F Base Maintenance is performed at Prestwick - could that be local enough for you?:)

The agency First People Aviation might at present be specifically after elusive B747 experienced FAA Part 65 Licence holders but at least here, there may be an opportunity to gain the required experience. Here's their email : [email protected]

In addition, once you've gained the minimum experience, letters of recommendation have to be produced by your Quality and Maintenance Management, then overstamped by the UKCAA - approx £50.00 in
support of your Application Form 8610-2.

Good luck

BAe146 and EGPWS mods and 8.33KHz mods??? Noooo!:{ :{

matkat
29th Nov 2006, 13:13
We are elusive indeed Mate but the problem with Polar is as usual they do not realise/want to pay the required £££s I see FPSG are again trying to recruit inspectors i actually e-mailed them a few weeks back asking the rate and again as usual no reply, probably understandable as they know what I am looking for.

green deisel
29th Nov 2006, 20:04
hi commander1
unless you get a job with a major airline over in the states the pay is crap!
one regional in orlando pays $15 a hour for an a+p with a rateing on the type and only 5 paid holidays for the first year! contrctors are getting about $17 to $20 an hour depending on expeirence in texas.

Commander1
30th Nov 2006, 09:57
Thanks for the info guys.

Why is the pay over in the states crap? Is it alot better to work in Scotland/UK?

Has anyone here lived in the states as a mechanic etc? What did you think compared to here?

Cheers

BAe146s make me cry
30th Nov 2006, 10:33
I think the going rate for FAA A&P / B747 at Prestwick is approx
£17-£19 (taxed) per hour. It isn't great when compared to Part 66 B2 A340-600 £35 (untaxed) per hour + accommodation/flights included...

I can't fully comment on whats happening in the US right now but
over the last few years, there have been large redundancies/furloughing of AMTs within the larger airlines as maintenance is pushed overseas, eg: United Airline's B777s in China, where it is simply cheaper.

Line maintenance positions are rare but possible in the UK. American Airlines being quite good if I recall. Equivalent to B1 or B2 at least...

BAe146??:{ :{

Commander1
30th Nov 2006, 12:57
Wow that is really bad, i think i may just stay here :D

£35 per hour? That is ALOT of money, is that just for a mechanic or engineer?

Im hoping to get into BA at Glasgow airport....hopefully that is when i graduate.

I wonder what the lowest wage i could earn being an apprentice.

I really appreciate all your information.

Thanks again :)

P.S does having either a B1 or B2 license change the wage your going to get or is it roughly the same?

BAe146s make me cry
30th Nov 2006, 13:23
Contracting Employment

The rate of £35 per hour would apply to a full unrestricted type rated
B1 (Mechanical+Electrics) or B2 (Avionic) Licensed Aircraft Engineer
WITH experience. The above is only one example of many.

Rates for Unlicenced Airframe/Avionic Techs/Fitters can be anywhere
between £10 per hour to £17 depending on location, your trade/type WITH experience & qualifications ie: Apprenticeship/C&G/BTEC Etc.

Permanent Employment

BA Engineering Glasgow were recruiting earlier this year, are they still??
Maybe some poor soul stuck there reading this can enlighten you on vacancies?

Apprentices pay can be abysmally low as it is considered a training position. However, it'll stand you in good stead if you want a full career
as a Licenced Engineer in this fun filled industry. 4 penniless years
will pay off!

WRT the B2 (Avionic) they are not as plentiful as our B1 chappies.
If you are more inclined to Instruments, Navigation & communications
as a general interest, its worth considering going this route.
Click on below to our lovely CAA's website, it spells out the B2 syllabus.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/177/8355%20Section%20E_06.pdf

Thats all for now!

BAe146?? :{ :{

Commander1
30th Nov 2006, 14:49
Urgh, sorry for all the B2 people out there but its just not for me, i'd have to say that i like the B1 better, i am more of an engine/airframe girl :)

I heard there is a shortage on B2 people though as Ryanair or (PAML) were recruiting earlier this year.

I dont know if BA are still recruiting but they look for graduates every year from my college.

Cheers :)

Commander1
1st Dec 2006, 10:22
Hi, has anyone worked in Spain or Australia as Mechs etc?

I know the JAA license would be accepted in Spain, but what about Oz, is the pay totally different?