PDA

View Full Version : Continental Engine Query...

Ex FSO GRIFFO
1st Nov 2006, 15:09
Peoples, I need your technical opinions - please.

Am interested in a 1976 T210-L Centurion, which is equipped with a
Continental TSIO-520-H4B engine.

I am told that the compressions are 75 61 65 72 78 & 74.
It has 840 hrs on since factory new engine with 285HP (1997).

I realise that this aircraft has probably 'sat' for long periods - it is currently in a 'dry' inland environment - so airframe corrosion may or may not be a problem, but, what would be the likely causes of such a diverse range of compressions?

And, should I have 'real' concerns over the no. 2 & no. 3 readings?

This is all the info I have right now.

Please?

All answers will be kindly and attentively listened to.:ok:

Cheers & Thanks guys and gals...:ok:

Sir HC
3rd Nov 2006, 12:25
Mate, it depends on just how the readings were taken. A good engineer would take them when the engine was warm and if values like that were found, they would give the valves a hit with a soft hammer to make sure the valves were seating properly, they are the most likely cause of a low compression. If however, those values were the best an engineer could get you might want to look at something else, but then again, throwing 2 o/h'd cylinders on it would be a cheap option as well.

I would have the readings taken by someone else when the cobwebs are blown out of it, an engine with 840hrs since factory new shouldn't give you too much trouble. If it does, it is probably indicative of the treatment the machine has been given.

Sorry to waffle on. All the best.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
3rd Nov 2006, 23:57
Thankyou very much Sir.:ok:

NutLoose
5th Nov 2006, 16:15
Thankyou very much Sir.:ok:

Before you go throwing money away on cylinders, ( Incidently I think the maximum recommended difference across the board is a max of 5 between compressions..

Ask your engineer where it is leaking from, the simple expediancy of putting his hand over the exhaust or airbox will tell you if it is valves, it hissing out of the dipstick hole tells you it is rings......... you may well find a good run and a squirt of oil will bring them back up..... if it is indeed rings this may simply be they have chattered round and the gaps have lined up, pulling the cylinder and repositioning the rings will cure that, also a leaking valve can be fixed by lapping the valves in or replacing if worn when the cylinder is off......... A top end overhaul is another option if it is valves, where the guides and valves are renewed......... incidently, Continentals do not like longish periods of unuse, the cylinder walls tend to corrugate for want of a better word. and I would recommend giving it a good run every month or so getting it nice and warm.

Either way ask your engineer as said above, a good engineer will be able to advise you and if he is not worried I wouldnt be, most of the Conti's I have dealt with over the years seemed to have a compression across the board into the mid to high 60's where as the Lyc's seemed all to manage the low to high 70's

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Nov 2006, 10:30
Thankyou 'NL', and 'HC'...

Am now asking more questions of the vendor.

Thanks again guys!:ok:

NutLoose
12th Nov 2006, 11:44
I would add Uk wise we have to adhere more or less with Manufactures Time Before Overhaul which is about 12 years in the case of a Continental, make sure you are not going to fall foul of that, regardless of hours on the Engine.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
12th Nov 2006, 13:44
Dear 'Nut'....

Thanks for that......

Actually, I am not quite sure of where to go from here....

The responses received have all been very helpful - thanks again guys -
and, so far, I am looking at the overall condition of the aircraft - based on the compression reports so far - balanced with the condition of the airframe equipped with the 'Robertson STOL' Conversion...

I may give it a 'miss', or see just what the 'compressions are'....

Cheers.....:ok:

NutLoose
12th Nov 2006, 19:04
I take it you are having an engineer survey it for you, can you not simply say he has found xyz wrong and the price does not reflect it.. and get him to drop it accordingly? or have him rectify it before sale, after all another survey would pick up the same things so he would be in the same boat again...

you can find the information as to engine overhaul intervals requirements UK wise in here you are now allowed an extension on the time period of 20% @ the engineers discretion

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP747.PDF

see appendix 1 generic requirements GR No 24 I would have to re read it to see if it covers private as well as commercial operated aircraft, as the case used to be just commercial IE public transport.

Continentals TBO data is here

http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SIL98-9A.pdf

what country are u in? again ask your engineer about ohaul periods, he should know

Ex FSO GRIFFO
21st Nov 2006, 03:15
G'day 'NL',

Firstly - my apols for not returning to this site sooner, and
Many Thanks for the link with your response.:ok:

Suffice it to say, that I am currently 'second opinioning' this option - the big attraction to this particular aircraft was / is relatively low Total Airframe Hours, and a Robertson STOL kit, as well as the Evalde U/c mod - all very handy items for a C210... The Turbine'd engine was not a big deal to us, less time between O/H and more to worry about for someone to potentially 'mismanage'.

Many Thanks again from AUS,
Regards,
Griffo:ok:

kingtoad
29th Nov 2006, 03:48
Hey Griffo

How are you going with that C210 deal you're looking at. I'm currently a 210 owner and may be able to give you some pointers - or you may already know enough about 210s. Mine is a K model normally aspirated. So there is a difference in the engine and the U/C system. The L model is an electric hydraulic pump, mine is engine driven.

Actually the 210 buyers guide from CPA is really good!

be in touch

Toad

Ex FSO GRIFFO
1st Dec 2006, 11:23
Many Thanks 'KT',
We are looking at a later model - with all due respect - preferably already with the 'Evalde' U/C mod, and as an appetiser to clients...the Robertson STOL conversion - for those 'hot' and loaded conditions.

However, if I come back to you for your advice, would that be OK with you??

Cheers, and Thanks Again,.:ok: :ok:

gaunty
5th Dec 2006, 13:43
Griffo me old.

Dunno who you've got in mind as clients but if they are weakened warriors :rolleyes: , I would think twice about the Robertson STOL. You and I know you should only use the "extra" performance as a buffer unless you have 'proper' STOL training.

It will only be a matter of time before some wannabe hero takes it to the edge of the STOL envelope and becomes a statistic.

Otherwise they are a fantastic performer, should be a tad faster than standard. Had a STOL P210 with all the fruit in stock for about 6 months couldn't bring myself to sell it.:cool:

The engine? take it for a good long blast at max cruise then get em checked. I'm personally not happy with the usual ground engine run test.

Airframe corrosion?? is not a respecter of inland or coastal conditions, if my memory serves me that era was plagued with filiform corrosion as a result of the painting method then being used. Either way the cost of a major adverse corrosion event may be more than the aircraft is worth. Its easy to check.

Good luck:ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Dec 2006, 01:25
G'day Gaunty........

Good advice as usual.....Thanks for that.:ok: