PDA

View Full Version : A little engine help

UWE Karl
20th Oct 2006, 20:00
Hey All. I have been working through some information today about the Jetstreem for a research project on small aircraft used in a 3rd world country. Not so sure any jetstreems are but i have a few questions about the engines.

Why does the left engine turn clockwise and the right anticlockwise, and why is the reduction gear higher on the left that the right?

Sure most multi props are like this? but it would be of help if anyone can offer some input on this matter.

Thanks for any help...

NutLoose
22nd Oct 2006, 15:26
Hey All. I have been working through some information today about the Jetstreem for a research project on small aircraft used in a 3rd world country. Not so sure any jetstreems are but i have a few questions about the engines.

Why does the left engine turn clockwise and the right anticlockwise, and why is the reduction gear higher on the left that the right?

Sure most multi props are like this? but it would be of help if anyone can offer some input on this matter.

Thanks for any help...

The "Jetstream" engines as on a lot of Aircraft turn in opposite directions to counteract the effects of torque, as if the both turned one way there would be a tendency for the aircraft to roll. As for the gearing I do not know.

ShyTorque
24th Oct 2006, 18:18
I'm not familiar with this type of aircraft but presumably, the engines (Astazou?) actually turn in the same direction; only the props turn in opposite directions.

The gearing system needs to be arranged differently to allow a rotational direction change.

AB139engineer
1st Nov 2006, 02:15

Thanks for any help...

Better aircraft handling during single engine operation.

barit1
4th Nov 2006, 21:15
Here's a bit of visual aid (http://selair.selkirk.bc.ca/aerodynamics1/Multi/Page3.html)about what happens when both props turn the same direction.

However, if both props turn inboard, the problem of "critical engine" is null and void.

On-MarkBob
1st Dec 2006, 22:34
There is also the paddle wheel effect, although not very important. With the engines rotating in the same direction the aircraft will 'paddle' itself sideways as it goes along. A small problem to consider when using dead reakoning navigation.