PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Jet type ratings!

oreo200
3rd Aug 2006, 10:55
Hey, apolgoies if this has been asked before but.....

Are there any coporate jet companies in North America people know of that allow recently qualified guys with low hours (less than 500) to pay for their type rating and a certain number of hours on type to build experience, similar to the way Astraeus and other small European companies operate?

I have the names of some of the training companies that deal with type ratings/simulator training but I was hoping to find out if any of the companies who actually operate the jets run a similar scheme to the ones mentioned above?

With the greatest respect, I know some people are against paying for type ratings already, if you feel that way, you dont have to reply to this post!

Thanks for your time!

westhawk
5th Aug 2006, 07:07
The last outfit I knew of who engaged in this practice recently had their certificate revoked by the FAA for a number of rules and records violations along with operational control issues which occurred over the last several years. The fatal and non-fatal accidents were probably a factor in their demise as well. They were actually rather nice people and most of the pilots got out of there with their lives and a few hundred of those all-important jet hours.

Not to worry though. Even with these fine folks now out of the business, a 500 hour guy with no jet time and no willingness to gain any more experience which might qualify one on their own merits can still buy a job. (sorry, couldn't resist the jab!) Just go to all the charter operators with an offer to pay for your own type training. Some will look upon such a person with scorn and derision, but some greedy and unprincipled opportunistic owners will jump at the opportunity to get a free ride by allowing someone to foot their own training expenses for the opportunity to be a "jet pilot" and wear a uniform along with cool sunglasses! They will even pay a modest wage because labor laws require it. Maybe they will even allow someone like that to actually touch the controls if the airplane is kept spotless and the coffee is good! Just beware of their operating practices since their business ethics are allready proven to be suspect. The jet time will do little good after a violation or accident.

Allthough some of these kind of arrangements may still be possible at some operators, the current trend in the US for legitimate operators is to fill charter jet right seats with pilots who have at least 1,500 - 2,000 hrs total and 300 -500 multi. To be competitive, most have an ATP. Regional airlines and King-Air operators are hiring at 1,000 total with 100 multi. First year pay is abysmal, but patient employees will move up in pay and position with time.

Sorry if this isn't the kind of answer you were looking for, but that's the way it is. Getting your foot in the door in this business is rarely easy, even if you have money to throw around. Insurance and safety audit firms are making it increasingly expensive to employ 500 hour pilots in charter jets. There are plenty of pilots looking for work and even low pay entry level positions in charter are tending to demand more experience. Build some more time.

If a person is not cut out to instruct, then there's always banner tow, glider tow, scenic flights or VFR 135. Do whatever it takes to continue building time and staying busy. Be patient and continue to work toward your goals. If a lucky break comes along, great! Take it. I would. (and have!) Otherwise, keep your expectations realistic and your nose to the grindstone!

Best regards and good luck,

Westhawk

Skualo3
5th Aug 2006, 15:03
There are plenty in S. Florida!

Provided you have a passport and money to part, here are several companies that will allow you to do their ardio calls for a small hourly wage ( yes, you pay them...)
Pt 91 operators or even 134&1/2 will llow you in their planes, but do not hope to learn much, as most guys I have spoke to see that as one of the reason the industry is going don the tube

Good luck, i don`t know your circumstances but please note you are not doing anybody any favors! (including yourself)

oreo200
6th Aug 2006, 10:50
Thanks guys, especially Westhawk for your in-depth reply! Jabs aside (and no offence taken) thanks for putting the picture straight regarding my question, your message is much apprecitated. I totally agree that hard work is the only way forward in the industry, however, as my late father always used to say...If you want the quick and easy answer to a problem, go and ask a lazy man! However, lazy men also cause accidents and with what you said in your post, I can see that buying time on a biz jet may not be the most productive (or safe) step forward. I am in the process of working/building hours, so will keep at it until I can afford to buy my own Gulfstream or set my own charter company:cool: !!!