PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Airlines and the "seatbelt sign"

shon7
6th May 2006, 20:03
Apart from liability reasons is there any reason U.S. airlines are so "anal" about their seatbelt signs. Slightest turbulence and there it comes. Not switched off till you reach cruise altitude.

I've flown several European/Asian carriers with excellent safety records and they seem to have a more rational approach to the "seatbelt sign."

Any thoughts?

vapilot2004
6th May 2006, 21:20
Apart from liability reasons

You've hit the nail squarely on the head.

It is also why when there is an incident aboard an air carrier in the US - everybody sits tight until a thorough asessment takes place and why Mcdonalds will warn you of HOT (surprise !) coffee when served.

In the world of instant news, a bloodied/on-a-stretcher/otherwise injured passenger is bad publicity too.

They've tried to enact tort reform - but the trial lawyers have a strong lobby group.

Dream Land
7th May 2006, 03:52
And for the most part, flight attendants make no effort to enforce the passengers to remain seated, it's a joke.

West Coast
7th May 2006, 05:11
"flight attendants make no effort to enforce the passengers to remain seated, it's a joke"

Flight attendants are informers, not enforcers.

TIMTS
7th May 2006, 15:33
I have flown quite a bit between St. Maarten and JFK with American, and on most flights the seatbelt signs are never turned off at all. And passengers are walking around, the cabin crew is encouraging people to not group around the lavs, but not a single word about the lit seat belt sign.
You have to wonder, what is the use?

stilton
7th May 2006, 16:18
If flight attendants do not enforce, there is no reason for them to be in the cabin at all.

West Coast
7th May 2006, 17:04
"If flight attendants do not enforce, there is no reason for them to be in the cabin at all"

Incorrect. Most people comply with flight and cabin crew orders. That a small but noticeable percentage doesn't mean they are not doing the job. I don't want a FA physically taking down 26B because they went to the lav when the seat belt sign was on. That's the difference between an enforcer and an informer.

Dream Land
7th May 2006, 17:39
That's the difference between an enforcer and an informer. I flew for a certain holiday charter airline in the UK for three years and I much prefer the enforcer mentality, sad watching the chaos while jump seating on the US carriers.

bafanguy
7th May 2006, 18:49
And for the most part, flight attendants make no effort to enforce the passengers to remain seated...

What would you suggest the FA's do ?

West Coast
7th May 2006, 19:09
"sad watching the chaos while jump seating on the US carriers"

I work for a US carrier, and have been pushed back to reserve. In addition I commute. As such I see far more than most airline pilots as far as what happens in the back. I do not see chaos. If you see chaos in people not complying with seat belt signs then I would like to see what you consider an emergency. Knee getting clipped by the drink cart as it passes?

stilton
8th May 2006, 04:00
Enforcing the law in the cabin does not necessarily mean getting physical.

If you are at that point things are already out of hand. It means using a flight attendants training, experience and assertiveness to keep order in the cabin.

There are seat back safety cards and videos to inform. Enforcement is necessary sometimes, that is certainly, (especially since 9-11) part of the cabin crews duty, or, as I said earlier, thay should not be back there.

Not obeying a seat belt sign by itself would not be a reason for anyone to get physical!

Dream Land
8th May 2006, 04:28
What would you suggest the FA's do ? I don't have a suggestion on how to do the job, I have flown with both type of crews and this is what think, seeing FA's stop passengers that have gotten up while the seatbelt sign is illuminated and ask them to please return to your seat for your safety etc. bla bla, people do notice, stops others from trying to get up, no enforcement is also noticed and only sets the pace for more violators to get up. Passengers are similar to a bunch of children and will test the waters so to speak, if there is a substitute teacher filling in, children will take advantage of the situation.

TIMTS
8th May 2006, 12:47
What are we as violators to do on a 4hr+ flight, with food and drinks served right after takeoff, when the seatbelt sign is NEVER turned off?
I am sure more passengers would respect the sign if it was used a bit better.