PDA

View Full Version : mode s in london tma

wizad
27th Mar 2006, 13:13
just a quick query, as became apparant ot work the other day. but are you guys who fly with enhanced mode s aware that as controllers, we can see what heading, ias, rod/roc etc... you guys are actually doing.
example, a/c calls me who ive put as number 2 into kk, simply because he was the furthest distance from landing 26L and told speed 270kt for streaming but no delay etc etc.... other a/c calls, told 'descend flight level 80, maintain high speed'.... minute or so later i notice number 2 has dramatically slowed... by the wonders of mode s i see he is now back to 250kts passing fl 130.
when questioned his IAS, he came back with 270kts sir.... ive got you doing 250kts... he seemed utterly surprised that i knew this.
now as it wasnt busy at all i didnt mind to much that he had pulled the speed back as there was nothing much else in the sky. but on a busy session, a speed is assigned for a reason as you dont want the a/c 5 miles behind you, that i may not be talking to yet chomping you up like pacman.
it all feels a bit big brother, but does help us a great deal and with trying to provide a better service.
any thoughts on this would be great,

w