PDA

View Full Version : Medical fee reimbursement!

one dot right
21st Feb 2006, 19:12
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this or not but here goes anyway.

If a class one medical is required to do the job we are employed to do(i.e,fly aeroplanes) is an employer obliged to pay the cost of renewal, or is the onus on us to fork out our hard earned cash so we can continue to fly revenue flights for the company?

As a required tool of the trade(such as an OPC-or should we expect to pay for those soon as well?)surely the employer has a duty to pay these fees?

All informed comment gratefully received.:confused:

Hufty
21st Feb 2006, 20:05
My employer pays for my medical etc. but I'm not sure if the Ryanairs if this world do.

IMHO any 'reasonable' company will pay for this kind of stuff.

one dot right
22nd Feb 2006, 06:34
any 'reasonable' company will pay for this kind of stuff

Agreed, however I was wondering what the legal position was for a company operating British registered a/c under the CAA and UK law.

BusBoy
22nd Feb 2006, 10:55
whilst sympathetic to the annual expense I am sure that somewhere in the company Ops Manual / contract it will state that responsibility for maintaining a current Licence and Medical lies with the Individual.

There don't seem to be many companies out there that will not cover annual medical expenses and it comes as a bit of a shock when your new employer does not but, as I understand it, employers are under no obligation to cover Medicals.

Cheers, BB

Bealzebub
22nd Feb 2006, 11:16
If it is any consolation (22% or 40%), you can claim for the cost of the medical on your annual self assesment tax return.

The medical is a wholly, necessary and exclusively incurred expense incurred as a result of your employment. Where employers do pay for the medical, it is not a benefit in kind. You can therefore claim it as a legitimate expense.

one dot right
22nd Feb 2006, 11:30
Thanks for the replies.

Bealzebub, any idea how i'd go about claiming that back as i'm on PAYE at the moment and a bit ignorant about tax matters (though clearly I would benefit from a crash course).

Bealzebub
22nd Feb 2006, 12:02
Sure,

Just write in to your local tax office and claim the expenses against your tax for the relevant years ( I think there is a limit of 7 ?). Remember to use the words "wholly, exclusively and necessary". If you have them, send in copies of the receipts (if not don't worry, although you might be asked for them subsequently).

If you are a higher rate tax payer you should be submitting a self assesment return every year. This can be as the standard inland revenue form sent out to you from your tax office, or as an online return for which you need to register. There are boxes within these returns to claim for expenses incurred in connection with your employment. Once completed the tax liability is calculated or adjusted so that your liability is reduced or if applicable a refund is applied.

If you have any questions, ring your local tax office and quote the PAYE reference number shown on your last P60 or wage slip and or your own National insurance number. They will be able to give you better guidance. If you don't know your local tax office call your wages department and they will be able to tell you.

one dot right
22nd Feb 2006, 13:12
Thanks Bealzebub,I will call them forthwith and from what you say should be able to claim for at least the last 2 medicals.:D

Bulldogbeast
23rd Feb 2006, 17:24
My company pays for all the medicals and to be honest I have never been with one that has,nt until I read your post I assumed all companys did but maybe not.

one dot right
23rd Feb 2006, 19:44
Alas no!...10 characters:D

Piltdown Man
24th Feb 2006, 09:04
And don't forget to claim for mileage to attend your medical. Say 35p per mile. And while you are at it, earplugs, computer to access AIS/C's, sunglasses etc. No wanting to sound like a recruiter, but as a BAPLA member I get this sort of info as part of the "package". Pay your money (2/3'rds of which is allowable against tax) and start getting the benefits. Damn site better value for money than a type rating!

Bealzebub
24th Feb 2006, 16:22
And don't forget to claim for mileage to attend your medical. Say 35p per mile. And while you are at it, earplugs, computer to access AIS/C's, sunglasses etc. No wanting to sound like a recruiter, but as a BAPLA member I get this sort of info as part of the "package". Pay your money (2/3'rds of which is allowable against tax) and start getting the benefits. Damn site better value for money than a type rating!

Mileage might be allowable depending on any they might already pay you. Computer to access AIS/C's would fail the wholly, necessary and exclusive tests as they can be used for other purposes ( whether they are or not ). Sunglasses are a non starter. Earplugs, not unless employer insisted on them and required you to pay for them and they had no other possible ( exclusive) use. Union subsciptions as described. ;)

Piltdown Man
24th Feb 2006, 18:50
Well Bealzebub, my tax office disagrees with you! And they have done so, quite correctly in my opinion, for the last six years. Ever since the fixed rate allowance was reduced for my colleagues and myself from £630 to virtually bugger all I have been accurately claiming and receiving tax allowance for expenditure which is wholly, exclusively and necessary for my employment. For the last two years I have done this on-line (and what a marvellous system that is) and neither me or my colleagues have had any unnecessary grief from the "Feds". Apparently next year, Balpa have negotiated a better rate for us and I'll go to that as soon as I am able. Over to you...

Bealzebub
24th Feb 2006, 19:55
Your tax office cannot disagree with me, it can only accept your claim. Normally an FREA substitutes for an individuals expenses claim, although excess amounts can be claimed for in addition. When you submit a self assesment return the revenue starts from the assumption that you have submitted an accurate return. Each tax office is staffed by civil servants who work to a set of instructions and guidelines supplied by the treasury. Unfortunetaly the interpretation of those instructions and guidelines by the senior officials at area branch level, can often lead to discrepancies in the way cases are dealt with by different offices.

The fact that your submission has resulted in "no grief" is not the same as the fact that it is either necessarily correct or accepted as final . If they discover that you or anybody else has claimed for items that should be disallowed they would have no hesitation in reclaiming the applicable tax owing with interest and possibly penalty. On the other hand the claim may well be correct. In any event it is a self assesment unless the revenue has reached an agreement on the specifics with you or in the case of an FREA with your employer/ union etc. If they have told you in writing that a specific item is allowable that is helpful.

The magic words are indeed wholly, necessary and exclusively in connection with your employment. This is likely why the FREA you refer to was reduced from its previous level. A lot of supposed expenses simply fails to satisfy all three requirements. For example a computer ( first time I have heard of this one) for a pilot is rarely necessary, albeit desireable, nor is its use likely to be exclusive in connection with a pilots employment. Sunglasses may be necessary, but they are not exclusive or an employer requirement even if they were to fail the first test. To be allowable they have to pass all the tests.

The revenue has a taken a much harder line in relation to emploment expenses in recent years, no doubt spurred on by the chancellors desire to increase revenue from taxation ?

judge11
26th Feb 2006, 11:42
Nor does mine and it operates in the uk - no loss of licence, pension, scheduling agreement either. 8 letters.:{