PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 737

TopsyTurvy
19th Jan 2006, 16:09
Just some simple questions - have found a fair bit of info re interviews, TR etc but can anyone currently working at Jet2 answer these questions? The current Jet2 threads aren't particularly helpful.

TAke home for new starter (non rated) - is £2000pm a fairly good guess? I've only found salaries of £2500 and £3500 but am guessing this is for rated FO and Captain.

Roster stability - better out of LBA or NCL?

Social/working life morale - LBA or NCL?

Are there any stop overs from LBA or NCL? How many a month, where?

Thanks

Elixir
20th Jan 2006, 08:54
I know that for first starters the pay packet is better than the likes of easyjet, ryanair, bacx and flybe. I think you start on £31k but not sure if that figure includes flight pay or if not, how much would be added on top. Not sure what this is in takehome - maybe £1800?

You're not actually paying for your TR either because they pay it back to you over 3 years. To me it seems like a really good place for a first job.

Can't answer the other questions - is there anyone out there who can? It would be nice to have an informative thread about working for Jet2 rather than a slanging match about the negatives. The previous threads are too bitty with most of the info having been sent by pm.

Elixir
20th Jan 2006, 08:56
Oh and I've never heard of Jet2 nightstops anywhere but could be wrong!

boxjockey99
20th Jan 2006, 09:45
Pay is reasonable but not the top end of the market by any stretch of the market. Elixir is correct that if you are paying for your type rating up front they give you the money back over 3 years tax free so you end up at about £1800PCM take home so I have heard. On top of that you have your duty pay which obviously depends on how much you work but is tax free and usually works out at about £200-£300 pcm. The deal is better for those already type rated with base pay for F/O being around £2000 pcm

Roster stability was horrible last year due to a massive expansion but we coped and did what we had to. It was certainly no worse that other LO-CO's with few if any ending up with garden leave due to running out of hours. There are only a few 4 sector days with longer routes such as AGP and FAO being 2 sector days only. A new rostering policy has been introduced where we now get 10 guaranteed days off per month as opposed to 8 last year. We also have other guarantees such as no more than 5 days on in a row etc.

Crews are friendly and fun people to work with both in the pointy end and down the back. LBA and MAN both have established social scenes with regular events happening to keep people mingling.

It does have its down sides in that the aircraft are older models and you do have to cope with a certain amount of tech issues sometimes. Engineering is good and they do their best with the resources available. Any tech issues I have had have been addressed and dealt with promptly and correctly. Eng is also very happy to mix with flight crew both professionally (ie you can go to them if you have a question without fear of being labeled thick for asking that 'silly' question you had in your mind) and also socially with most engineers joining in the social scene.

Management are in a transitional stage I would say and do sometimes try to hark back to the 'good old days' of being a small freight company but in the main they are getting better. Rumours of PM's outbursts in my experience are greatly exagerated although he is still as hands on as ever. LAst summer we had senior managers loading the aircraft in Murcia while we were getting our ground handling up and running there.

All told don't believe the hype of the other thread which seems to be getting slightly out of control. I have been with the company for 3 yrs + and have had no problems and still enjoy it without becoming bitter and twisted like some of the posters in the other thread.

PM me if you want any other info I'd be happy to help.

Boxjockey99

clearfortheoption
20th Jan 2006, 10:16
I have been with the company for 12 months on the 737 based in LBA. I was bonded for 20K (If you require the Jet advanced handling course is 23K). My take home after tax is on average £2700 including flight pay (basic for me is 32K) that includes the £555 towards the bond repayment.The interests on the loan are about £75 pcm which the company doesn't pay. so 2700-555-75=£2070 net. I am really enjoying the job,people are really friendly and I am still to fly with someone who is as bitter about the company as described in other topics in this forum. I can only talk about the LBA base. Last summer roster stability wasn't great but the new roster agreement is very promising and so far has been respected by crewing/rostering. The boys and girls in crewing/rostering are very helpfulland friendly and if they can help they do it! Last summer I was averaging 70/80Hrs per month ,in the winter is about half of it. If you want more info feel free to PM me or just ask on the open forum. CFTO

ATIS
20th Jan 2006, 11:29
clearfortheoption do you mind stating how much of £2700 is flight pay. Cos I am with a UK charter company basic £41000, and with a quiet winter I'm getting less than £2700. Just wandering if I'm being swindled by the tax man. Thanks

Elixir
20th Jan 2006, 12:06
ATIS - I think the £2700 includes the loan repayments for the TR that Jet2 give back to you in your salary.

clearfortheoption
21st Jan 2006, 10:27
ATIS ,the duty pay is on average £320 which is tax free. As stated in my previous post above the figure of £2700 include the £555 that the company pay for your loan. Take care, CFTO

Sub rosa
22nd Jan 2006, 00:20
I'm averaging 6 or 7 days on with minimum days off. The new rostering agreement is not an agreement, just an undertaking by the company to try and give you no more than 5 days on. I have not worked a five day week since beginning of last year!!

I am 'Jet2 midlands' based. As far as nightstops are concerned, I have been sent all over the UK, mostly Edinburgh and Newcastle, flying royal mail during the night, sleeping in the day. Also been sent to Belfast a good number of times day and night flying.

The company is haemorrhaging pilots. Most going to Easy and Ryanair. People are leaving faster than the company can recruit so as the summer season starts to get moving the usual crewing crisis management will resume.

For some it has never stopped!

silverhawk
22nd Jan 2006, 06:42
Sub rosa, Hi. we don't have a midlands base whatever that means. If you're working that hard you must be a trainer, because they're always busy due all the new starters.

I'm based at Man and in the first 12 months have only done 600 hours with lots of leave and time off.

What can I say? It's not the best place in the world, but it's far from as bad as you try to portray it.

If you are unhappy use the nearest exit for an expeditious departure. Good luck. Looks like MOL's mob need crew again at EMA

jet2impress
22nd Jan 2006, 09:11
Sub Rosa,

You are obviously on someones 'hit list'! I am only working once, twice a week tops at the moment. And i am enjoying lots of days off. I just don't get it.

Jet2Impress!

pol1wx
22nd Jan 2006, 10:50
I agree with 'Jet2impress' I'm not working more than twice in any week at the moment. Loads of days off as well! :=
Sorry Sub but you do talk a load of rubbish.

It's funny but out of 180 ish pilots that work for Jet2 it's the same old 2 or 3 voices on here that spout the usual crap. :mad:

:ouch:

clearfortheoption
23rd Jan 2006, 09:04
Sub Rosa , it took you a while to come and hijack this topic as well as all the others concerning jet2! Yeah you must be working hard,and by the way if you are sent all over the network you are on tax free duty pay from the time you depart base until you are back, so it must be pushing your wages up quite a bit! lucky you! At my interview I was told that I could expect to fly the night mail sometimes (which I have done and it's a very easy shift ),I assume that you were told as well and you agreed to it by signing the contract.At my base ,LBA,very few people have left in the last 12 months and only one is leaving right now,your midland base (???) must be a very unhappy place! Go on give your mates a call and ask them to support you on this topic Hijack...I bet the usual 2 or 3 names we'll help you! We had enough of your rubbish! CFTO

SKYWRITER1
23rd Jan 2006, 10:54
Hi everyone,

I'm MAN based with Jet2 and have been reading the various posts over the last few weeks. I dont post too often but feel its now neccessary as all the crap that gets put on here is getting a bit annoying. Yes, Jet2 are my first airline, as a pilot, but I have experience working for other major airlines in other departments. I, too, am only doing a few flights (approx 8) a month at the moment, and take home approx £2700 before the rating money is deducted. With the type rating fee deducted, it basically gives you about £32,000 a year pre tax, then add to that flight pay at £2.10 an hour tax free. I will do 600-700 hours a year. (not worked to the bone too much, I think, and not a bad salary for a first job either, I might add. None of this half sector pay, or reduced for 6 months crap!) Jet2 may not be the worlds best employer, but they are certainly not the worst either. Among both the FO's AND the Captains, people are happy. There is hard work in the summer, but where isnt there??? Posts about various members of management, in my experiences, are exaggerated. Everybody I have met, or spoke to, from the top man down have been friendly, helpful and committed to making our airline better and more successful, and I for one, and I am certainly not alone, wish to say - I like JET2 and am happy there!

For those with issues and axes to grind - fine, but please dont keep going on about the same old stuff. We have heard it, we know your opinion. If you dont like it.......leave.
It would be nice to hear from other crew, who dont post very often, to support our airline.

Right, thats your lot for now. HAPPY flying!

still got his clubs
23rd Jan 2006, 17:12
Sorry but I just can't stand this anymore. If anybody portrays Jet2 for what they really are, which is very poor, then they are accused of hijacking the thread.:*

The roster is dreadful, the pay is as low as you can get away within the UK. Da management are prepared to watch a crew operate a sabotaged aircraft on an air test without informing them. They lie with promises of base transfers to get you to join. They bond you when you're already rated. They refuse references to crew who leave. Other threads have alluded to the f/os pointing out that they had a lethal captain operating with them who then went on to slam a Helios 737 into the Greek mountains. Well it wasn't just f/os: one reportee was a training captain who was jump seating with him. They still wouldn't bloody listen.:confused: We have now lost the one of the best training captains because he couldn't stand the BS about this case anymore.

The roster we have is no more than a tentative agreement which is often completely ignored, come the summer it will get a lot worse. Pilots are leaving & will leave by the bucketful after this summer.

To summarise Topsy Turvy:-

Roster stabilty = non existent for any jet2 base :{
Social life = non existent.... working life = your only life :{
Take home for a year one f/o about 2.5k per month all in :{

If it's your first rating go for it if you cannot find a better deal but please think long term.

Oh, & boys & girls, the one thing that these threads have done is to give our management a kick up the jacksy & they are now looking at attempting to improve our conditions & salary. Otherwise they know that we will all leave & they sure as hell won't be able to replace us. :ok:

Shuperstar Loadie
23rd Jan 2006, 17:56
Clubs I agree last summer was hard work for flight deck but do you not expect that in an expanding company? And as for no social life you either are married with a ball and chain or the rest of the crew dont like you as there are loads of social events at LBA and MAN.
Boxjockey! nice to bump into you the other day! good luck with the training mate.:ok:

freightdoggy dog
25th Jan 2006, 10:16
Its easy Shuperstar, get rid of the ball and chain and then become someones' BUDDY!

As for you Clubs, you signed the contract, no one forced you, and if you want to leave no one is stopping you?

Vmd
25th Jan 2006, 10:32
Does anyone know of any F/O vacancies at NCL to go with the new routes recently announced?

VMD:ok:

Smudger
1st Feb 2006, 12:28
VMD, Why don't you contact Jet2 instead of scratching around on PPrune?? Too many people would obviously like to believe what they read here instead!