PDA

View Full Version : Personable Flying Club Nr Camberley

wobble2plank
10th Jan 2006, 19:38
Hiya all,

Just after a bit of info please, can anyone recommend a good flying club around the denzines of Camberley? I'm moving to the area and want to keep up with a bit of light prop flying and am looking for somewhere thats fun and personable. If there was the opportunity to get a bit of Jet Ranger time as well that would be a huge bonus!

Any hints, abuse, general info would be welcome (not so much abuse if poss :-) )

Regards

W2P

High Wing Drifter
10th Jan 2006, 21:46
Blackbushe Aviation is a friendly place. The owner, CFI, staff and instructors are all jolly decent and friendly with a bit of a social scene for flyouts, chrimbo etc. Cabair at Blackbushe has a helicopter school, there is usually one helipcopter there that looks quite Bell(ish). I haven't a clue about whirlies.

I'll second Popham as very very nice place and hosts a fantasic array and diversity of aircraft. There are some reasonably priced aircraft for rent too, its all on the web site www.popham-airfield.co.uk

Marian
10th Jan 2006, 22:57
I can recommend Blackbushe.

Cabair is a good school with friendly staff. They organise flyouts and socials - for example see http://www.cabairflyingschools.com/blackbushe.htm for a write up of September's trip to Africa. (a great adventure!).

Also, there is a social club starting up - Bushe Pilots Association co located at Biggles Bistro on the airport.

Popham is also good - a real flying club with great atmosphere, but a bit of a distance for me.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Jan 2006, 23:26
Of that lot, I'd definitely say Popham. Cheaper and friendlier than pretty much anywhere I know. There are some cheapish rental aeroplanes, but the real joy of EGHP is it's fantastic syndicate flying setup.

G

chevvron
11th Jan 2006, 06:59
If you really can afford a Jetranger, try Alan Mann Helicopters at Fairoaks. You can get there in about 20min from Camberley (route via Bagshot - Chobham)

breakscrew
11th Jan 2006, 07:43
Fairoaks is excellent, both the flying club and Alan Mann helicopters.
Cabair at Blackbushe have an R22 available, but not a Jetranger.

Sleeve Wing
11th Jan 2006, 10:59
wooble2plank. Welcome.
West London Aero Club isn't too far away either. That's got a helluva reputation for atmosphere, friendliness, facilities and bl@@dy good flying.
Give 'em a call on 01628 823272.
Rgds, Sleeve.

wobble2plank
11th Jan 2006, 14:43
Thanks everyone for the info,

I know Popham very well after dropping in there for lunch during my wobble days! It's just a bit of a slog down the M3.

I'll have a good look at the others over the next few weeks so thanks very much for the tips.

I don't fly R22's as I never much fancied the idea of getting airborne in a lawnmower powered helicopter! I realise that some people love 'em but they scare the willies outta me :eek:

Regards

W2P

Wycombe
11th Jan 2006, 16:15
There used to be a very big and friendly owner/pilot community at Blackbushe when I was flying from there in the mid/late ninety's.
A few of them have some very nice aeroplanes!

If you spend long enough in Biggles, it won't be long until you run in
to some of them. Many of these guys are experienced operators
(PPL/IRs very much in evidence) and I always found them willing to
share knowledge/experience and get you airborne as well if you were
in the right place at the right time.

Pitts2112
11th Jan 2006, 17:52
Wobble,

I can also recommend Popham, but not over the others as I have no experience with them. Popham's got a great atmosphere, lots of interesting stuff there and going on there (lots of fly-ins all year) and the airspace around it is pretty much unmolested.

I live not too far from Camberley and it takes me about 25 minutes to get to Popham, so the drive isn't as bad as it might look on the map.

Pitts2112