PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about JAA class 1 medical.

Alexander H.
22nd Oct 2005, 15:08
Will start my course january 2006, and it's divided in two parts.

1. USA - obtain all FAA certificates. (2 years)
2. Return to Europe and convert to JAA.

I already have my FAA class 1 medical. The doctor were very sure that I would pass the JAA class 1 too. It's very expensive, so I'm not sure if I should do the check now or when I return. Someone told me that I need to do a periodic check each year. If I skip 1 year and do this check when I come home, will the JAA class 1 medical still be valid?

Thanks...

berserker
22nd Oct 2005, 15:41
My advise: Do the initial JAA medical before you leave, imagine coming back from the states and fail!! That is alot of money wasted in case it comes to that. You only need to do the yearly check when you are back after 2 years.
Good luck!

Flyin'Dutch'
23rd Oct 2005, 13:23
That is sound advice from the Berserker.

Dunno where in Europe you are but suspect that most initial class one medicals will be cheaper than the UK one at over £400.

Even at £400 it is small fry compared to doing all the FAA stuff up to ATPL and the JAR ATPL writtens and finding out that there is something that cropped up during an initial class one.

Alexander H.
24th Oct 2005, 18:33
Thanks! Will go for it soon then. :)

I'm located in Norway. Last time I checked the price for a JAA class 1 medical here is about £450. :ooh:

Flyin'Dutch'
24th Oct 2005, 20:09
I'm located in Norway. Last time I checked the price for a JAA class 1 medical here is about £450.

So that is just 2 beers less then when you go out next!

:}

Simon853
3rd Nov 2005, 16:27
I did my Class 1 last January and the price had come down to around £360, since they don't do the epilepsy susceptibility test any more.

Si

2close
3rd Nov 2005, 16:41
Initial Class 1 at Gatwick - £ 337.00.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527