PDA

View Full Version : Reading Materials / Information to get head start on ATPL's

Nigel B
27th Sep 2005, 15:25
Hello everyone,

This is my 1st post on this forum (although I have been reading it for a long time already) so please go easy :D

I currently have zero hours, and am planning to start a Career Pilot Program at Naples Air Centre in the middle of next year. Before I go, I will do a few hours over here at a local flight school (probably Professional Air Training) so that I have at least some idea of how to fly!!

Now, some people have said to me that I really ought to be trying to prepare myself for the 1 year or so the training is going to take, and have said "you should be reading books about what you are going to do" etc etc......

Can anyone give me some advice of any books / reading materials which wont be far too in-depth and technical for me, but will maybe give me some basics etc which will help me get through the 14 ATPL subjects? Anyone who has done the course / the groundschool at Naples who can tell me what their reccommended reading materials are?

Obviously I dont want to be buying a lot of books which 90% of wont be of any help / use to me with regards the ATPLs :ok:

Thanks in advance,
Nigel

Farrell
27th Sep 2005, 16:38
The information in the ATPL notes that you get will be sufficient.

Don't add to your workload unnecessarily.

You will need to be concentrating on your PPL exams before you do your ATPLs so, I suggest that you purchase the PPL series by Jeremy Pratt, or the more traditional Trevor Thom series.

Or, if you have the extra cash, Transair pilot shop and Oxford Aviation have a series of PPL CDROMs that you can buy - bit pricey (what with OAT's name on it isn't! :rolleyes: )

You could also buy the Jeppesen Private Pilot's Manual which is FAA based but for my money will give you a great introduction into aerodynamics and the principles of flight and also since you will be learning to fly in the US, it covers US airspace and talking on the radio too!

Enjoy your training - your first solo will be the best day of your life! (unless you've slept with Avy Scott!)

Farrell

Nigel B
27th Sep 2005, 21:13
Thank you very much Farrell for your reply! That was just the sort of thing I was looking for.....

Its left me with a few more questions though :D

I have looked up the various resources you have mentioned above, but was wondering what the choice would be if (if only) money were no object?

The OATS CD-ROMS would i think be my choice, because i prefer Computer based training compared to reading lots of books.... but are they the best way to do it?

Also, will any of it make much sense to me if I have not actually done any flying lessons? As i said in my 1st post, I will probably do a few hours at PAT, but will the CDs still be way out of my depth or will it still be understandable without the practical side of things to go with it?

Im currently thinking now of buying the £400 Study Pack 3 which includes the following CDs:- ( http://www.oatmedia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CBT9 )

Air Law & Operational Procedures
Aircraft (General) and Principles of Flight
Flight Performance and Planning (inc Mass & Balance, Performance, Airframe Limitations)
Human Performance and Limitations
Meteorology
Flight Navigation Computer
JAA VFR RT Communications UK Supplement
Practical Flying Training

The Practical Flying Training CD (£100s worth :bored: ) - im concerned whether this is worth the extra money if I havent jumped in a plane?

Does anybody have any thoughts on any of this? Reccomendations etc?

Please dont let me waste my money!!

Thanks again,
Nigel

wbryce
27th Sep 2005, 21:24
Nigel,

Heres my opinion:

The PPL exams are basic knowledge on all the angles required to fly a light aircraft. During your course it will only take a couple of weeks to do the subjects and get them out of the way. So theres nothing stopping you doing a bit of reading just now on the PPL subjects to help shorten the gap between the PPL knowledge vs ATPLs knowledge. Books can easily be bought from ebay at a decent price.

Alot of the ATPL subjects expand from PPL level knowledge. So you may wish to start with a few PPL books and work your way up.

ATPL subjects are tough because of the amount of material you have to learn. Reading a couple of ATPL subjects now will no doubt make things easier for you during your course. You may read it and forget about it now but once you re-read it again during your course you will take it in alot better (apparently!).

You said you are attending a course next year. I am presuming this course includes all study materials and flying hours from 0 to fATPL...spending money just now on flying hours and expensive study packs is wasting resources which you may require during your course. As I mentioned before, ebay is a good place to get 2nd hand manuals at a fraction of the cost! (can anyone guess what route im taking?) :E

will

ask26
28th Sep 2005, 00:13
A useful thread this. I'm hoping to be starting in Jerez mid-November and the same applies, I've got the time to do a bit of research/preparation and as I did Engineering a couple of years ago at Uni was wondering if it's useful going over old lecture notes and maybe some A-Level standard maths or if it's better to get some second-hand materials or even go to the Uni libraries to get a head start.

Nigel B
28th Sep 2005, 21:25
Thanks for your replies - REALLY is appreciated!

Looking at Farrell's post - does anybody feel like suggesting whether Jeremy M Pratt or Trevor Thom's series of books are better?

I would very much like to buy the right materials to help make life easier, so want to buy it right first time :cool:

Please anybody who has any ideas, reply and make this topic useful for any other people in my position :)

Cheers everyone,
Nigel

wbryce
29th Sep 2005, 08:40
I found that Pratts book explain the subjects alot better and clearly!

I tried a few T.Thoms books but just felt Pratts books where that little bit superior.

Just my opinion of course! :)