PDA

View Full Version : Run and Break

cdb
21st Jun 2005, 09:48
Can anyone tell me what a "Run and Break" is? I've just been looking at the AIP entry for Manston, which specifies that they are not permitted below 1000' AGL.

Thanks

ShyTorque
21st Jun 2005, 11:02
It's a joining procedure with military origins. It was designed to expedite an aircraft's landing from cruise speed and to minimise the possibility of a wartime enemy aircraft from getting a clean shot at it.

Normally flown via "Initials"; a point about two miles out from the threshold, on the deadside of the runway. R/T "Initials, run and break"

Run in up the deadside, parallel to the runway. At the appropriate moment, roll into a steep level turn, to cross over the runway to the downwind leg. Throttle closed, airbrakes out if appropriate. Gear down / flaps as the speed drops. Normal landing. Do it without opening the throttle again if you're really good at judging it.

R/T "On the break" or similar, depending on local orders, followed by "Downwind" and "Finals" as normal.

Not a good thing to do if there are inexperienced pilots in the circuit.

The Scarlet Pimpernel
21st Jun 2005, 23:20
Aaaahhh....those were the days! If only I could do it now in my 'bus (I'm sure it could be done if I got myself into Direct Law, but the company/pax's/cabin crew/First Officer might be a little pee'd off with me!):O

huckleberry58
22nd Jun 2005, 05:56
Sometimes known as "buzz and break", 'cos you're "buzzing" the airfield.

keithl
22nd Jun 2005, 10:56
ShyTorque is right that the primary aim was to minimise the exposure time to intruders in the vicinity of the a/f. But the R&B has the additional peacetime benefit of being an easy way to slot a formation into the visual circuit.

On the point of being prohibited below 1000' at Manston, R&B heights have been going up steadily since the original purpose was forgotten or became unnecessary. When I did my acceptance check on my first Canberra Sqn, my boss (flying as my No2) bollocked me for being above 250' when I broke! changed days, eh?