PDA

View Full Version : EGLL Approach control

oggie
20th Jun 2001, 21:13
I've been teaching Computer Science at University for many years, and have run a group exercise to "simulate" approach control at EGLL. It informs students about a real-life application, and challenges them with some difficult HCI issues. What I know about approach control I've read up from books, but I'd quite like to make contact with an ACTO who lives in the Reading area with a view to really getting it right for the next year-group of students.

John

------------------
JAO

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Jun 2001, 22:07
I'm an operational Heathrow approach controller living near Reading. Can I help? Be forewarned - I'm not too keen on giving up too much spare time for work matters!!!

Spoonbill
21st Jun 2001, 22:29
OGGIE - Beware! :)
Heathrow approach control is a dark art, practised by only the most senior members of the coven. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif
In fact, delays at Heathrow this morning were due to the night shift returning late from Stonehenge, and the morning shift casting spells upon the Bovingdon holding pattern.
If you meet HD or his colleagues, ensure it is upon consecrated ground, (such as licensed premises), and have plenty of garlic ready. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

------------------
It wasn't me.

ATCO Two
22nd Jun 2001, 00:08
Hi Bren,

Nothing new there then! Tee hee!

K.

P.S. How many eg's until retirement?

Warped Factor
22nd Jun 2001, 01:42
Atco Two,

A better question might be......how many nights?

:)

WF.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Jun 2001, 11:10
I'm keeping VERY shtum!

JamesZUK10
22nd Jun 2001, 12:26
Oggie & all,

Not sure if this is of any help but are you aware of the ATCC simulator available from Xavius - There is lots of user add-on sectors (most produced by ATCers) and more importantly two currently available for the UK - Goles sector (upper air sector) and Heathrow approach. If anyone is interested have a look at the add-on pages (maintained by a London ATCer) at:

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~sadunn/sectors.htm

Thanks

Numpo-Nigit
22nd Jun 2001, 12:47
So, DYO is exposed !!!!

oggie
22nd Jun 2001, 22:56
HD, I'm following up any helpful lead, and keeping my fingers crossed and my thumb firmly on the A/P disconnect button (so to speak). If I take some of my time out to get my questions right, that should waste less of yours.

The basic problem as I understand it is getting aircraft onto the glideslope with adequate separation, given that there's a mixture of big 'uns and little 'uns, and all kinds of variations in VRef. The next problem is getting them into position with no more separation than absolutely necessary, in order to maximise r/way utilisation. And that's with separate ARR/DEP r'ways!

In my ignorance I guess this exercise begins when someone decides to issue a clearance to an a/c to leave a hold and head along the IAP. It continues by having some very clever person exercising his/her/their eagle's eye view of all active IAPs, not to mention direct approaches bypassing a hold, and making sure (by adjustments to airspeed and heading) that they slot in nicely one behind the other in an orderly queue for the Active.

The picture I've picked up from my reading is that the two northern stacks are controlled by one Director, the two southern stacks by another (these two at LATCC?), while a third manages the merge onto finals (from the Tower?). I think my questions are:

1. at what point are inbounds handed over to the northern and southern directors?

2. how do those two co-ordinate their actions in clearing a/c to vacate the stack and follow an IAP?

3. by what arcane magic do these people calculate that this a/c is a bit ahead of himself, while that one is behindhand?

4. When are a/c handed over to the Approach Controller in the Tower?

5. Is there any other question that an intelligent person should have asked?

I know you won't be slow to tell me where I've got it all wrong, but I'm not too old to learn, not too fat to take a dose of humble pie.

Thanks very much.

John

Red Spitfire Driver
23rd Jun 2001, 00:02
Oggie,

Why not come and see HD at work? It is certainly too difficult for him to explain what he does - It takes years of inbreeding, and gallons of beer to be able to do such a job. I know I have to sit next to them !!

Hey Brietling you havn't replied to this yet. Has the wife taken your laptop away again ?? :)

Bright-Ling
23rd Jun 2001, 00:18
RSD.......

I'm not worthy mate!!!!!!

(And yes she has!!!!)

Cheers

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Jun 2001, 00:25
I'm going to reply to Oggie direct.

Sorry to disappoint you Spitfire but I don't drink!!

Bright-Ling
23rd Jun 2001, 16:27
BTW RSD....

Spoke to J at LK twr and G is getting a lot better and should be back in a month or two.

Cheers

Red Spitfire Driver
24th Jun 2001, 01:27
Thanks B :)

See ya next cycle. I've been busy in the garden, watching you getting those planes in on easterlies. he he. At least AB is off sick ......