PDA

View Full Version : cipralex

simfly
12th Oct 2004, 09:48
Mate of mine has currently been prescribed a low dose (10mg a day) of the anti-depressant cipralex. He's not taking it for depression but for anxiety and stress, however.... he has been out of flying for a while and looking to start again (only PPL). He's unsure if the medication is going to suspend his medical temporarily but I said I'd ask around here first to maybe save him the hassle of AME bills etc.. Can anyone advise??

Bad medicine
12th Oct 2004, 21:20
His best bet is to speak with the local regulator. It very much depends where he is from, and what the individual details of the case are.

Cheers,

BM

Flyin'Dutch'
13th Oct 2004, 09:42
I would be surprised if there is any regulating authority that would consider certificating people on an antidepressant, irrespective of the underlying condition.

The two I know of (CAA UK and the FAA) don't.

FD

Bad medicine
13th Oct 2004, 21:19
FD,

CASA does, but under fairly specific circumstances, both private and commercial.

Cheers,

BM

oldcodger
15th Oct 2004, 17:03
I had my Class 3 (or whatever it's called these days) medical 'suspended' at the start of this year as a result of treatment with Cipralex. Once clear of symptoms and medication for three months, it's simply a case of getting your GP to write to your AME and confirm that you have been ok for three months. But in the meantime, you are rendered "Temporarily Unfit" by the CAA (and their letter doesn't even say "get well soon", the miserable so and sos). So that would also mean you'd be unable to get a medical while on the drug - though there's nothing to stop you flying dual.

Just hoping to get my medical back in the next couple of weeks, so I haven't yet found out whether it's as easy as they suggest! Also, I don't think, amazingly, that it costs anything to get yourself 'unbanned' - unless your GP is cruel enough to charge you to write a letter (which many are, I hear). Could be wrong there, mind.

Flyin'Dutch'
16th Oct 2004, 16:08
unless your GP is cruel enough to charge you to write a letter (which many are, I hear). Could be wrong there, mind.

Contrary to popular belief GPs in the UK are not employed by the NHS but are independent contractors to it.

That means that as far as payment is concerned we only get paid by the NHS for what the NHS deem to be necessary to provide to its patients.

Letters to the CAA; council; housing association; medicals; schools etc are not part of the services which the NHS wants to pay GPs for, so the GPs are quite entitled to charge for these additional activities.

The reason that many therefore do is two-fold.

1. Who else works for free?
2. It helps to stem some of the more ridiculous requests for 'medical certificates' Or do you really think that Annie needs a letter from her GP to declare her fit to take part in the school play. Red tape or what!

PPRuNe Pop
17th Oct 2004, 06:58
Well put FD.

But it is truly amazing how patients believe that 'their' GP should provide letters to the people you describe for free.

oldcodger
17th Oct 2004, 22:09
Well, I don't mean to create a big argument that has nothing to do with the original post, but... I've had a GP write me a letter before for free, and really it can't have taken him more than a couple of minutes (we're talking one sentence here), so why some of them manage to charge thirty odd quid for this kind of thing is beyond me...

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Oct 2004, 12:13
O,

No need for an argument.

Of course plenty of GPs will write little notes to help patients out and there is nothing wrong with that.

It is the attitude though that some people have in with regards to GP's time, since they are on the GPs list for NHS purposes.

Not only are a lot of the requests completely ludicrous it can waste an inordinate amount of time which detracts from either providing care for patients as intended by the NHS or my personal time.

You'd rather that I can see you with an appointment which you need for medical reasons and when I finished with looking after you I'd rather sit in my study enjoy reading a good book than writing a declaration to state that Annie is fit to play in the panto this Christmas. Call me weird.

I don't expect any of my patients to come and work for me for free and on the same token I don't think they should expect me to work for free for them.

FD

oldcodger
18th Oct 2004, 12:59
Seems fair enough, I suppose, especially if people do ask for ridiculous letters to be written. Looking back at my posts it seems that they could be misinterpreted - at no point was I trying to take a stab at the medical profession, I was just being a cynical old codger, and much of it was meant in a light-hearted manner. Sorry if you took it personally...!

Back to the original point - I'm hoping to get my medical back in a few weeks - woooohoo!

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Oct 2004, 21:17
O,

No problem and no I did not take that personal.

The way the NHS works and contracts GPs is very much unknown by the general public and leads to misconceptions.

By 'charging' folks for these things they suddenly become value items and people seem to be able to make their mind up a lot better whether they are necessary or whether there are alternative ways of solving their 'problem'

In the example I gave for the panto it is amazing how a possible £20 charge makes parents 'understand' that they as parents should be able to make these decisions rather than have to rely on a medical rubber stamp.

I hope you get your medical back soon and get up in the wide blue yonder again.

Best of luck.

FD

Tom the Tenor
22nd Oct 2004, 11:31
Oldcodger, you have it really well in the UK with the NHS. If you lived here in IRL you would know all about GPs fees. 40 to 50 Euro a go. As one pal said his GP near Manchester drives a Nissan Micra, the equivalent here in Cork has a choice every morning between the BMW or Merc. Life is so stressful for the Irish GPs! Heavens help if you were so sick you had to go to A & E in Ireland! A dying man with cancer on a trolley was brought to the toilet and when they got back a new patient was on the trolley! The British NHS is top class for as long as it lasts so preserve it with everything you have got.