PDA

View Full Version : Ba's DEP fleets

pulman
1st Oct 2004, 10:56
Hello all!
I am a B737 pilot who has just applied for BA's DEP scheme.
I was wondering weather someone may be able to clarify the following issues:
1)What sort of fleet may DEP's go to?, is there any possibility of going strait on to a B777 for example?
2)what sort of loss of income/licence insurance does BA use?
3)what is the new pension plan all about?
3)how many pilots is BA looking for?

Thanks for any info!
cheers!
Pulman

Cough
1st Oct 2004, 11:03
Pullman, (0/10 for question numbering by the way)

1) Probably your current type. i.e. you would go to LGW on the 737.
2) Believe 150k FO, 200k Capt.
3) Dunno.
3b) 100+

Omark44
1st Oct 2004, 12:27
And the ability to differentiate between "Weather" and "Whether"!;)

pulman
1st Oct 2004, 12:37
Cough, thanks for the info!
I am working on my question numbering, so I have prepared another two.
1)What sort of annual salary can a year 1 F/O bring home after tax including all allowances?
2)How many years to command on the short haul fleet?

Hopefully I will score better this time!!

Thanks!

Pulman

expedite_climb
1st Oct 2004, 12:58
pulman,

1) Not working there yet, but from what I can gleam average Gross including flight pay for a year one FO short haul should come out at £54000, so I'd say £2900-3000 p.c.m. There is a payrise (to be backdated) about to go through too. Heres the breakdown :

Basic = £40,500
Flight pay (fully taxed) = ~ 750hrs * £8 = £6000
Time away from base (estimated 2500-3500) = 3000 * £2.58 = £7740 (Only taxed at about 7%)

Total Gross= £54,240

2) A long time. In past in has been very short, but now more than 10 years, but of course the tide comes in and goes out again every so often.

Hand Solo
1st Oct 2004, 13:21
1) There's no recruitment on to the 737 at LGW, the fleet is in surplus already. New entrants will go to the A320, 777 or 747. The company would like type rated pilots to go to the long haul fleets, but strangely enough none are applying. There is still immense demand for a 747 position within the company so I'd expect the majority of new DEPs to go the 777 or A320 where they're needed most.

2) Dunno off the top of my head.

3) New pension plan is gash. Its a defined contribution scheme, you pay a bit, the company pays a bit, then at the end of your career you take all the cash and buy an annuity, which I think is a sort of contract for another company to pay you £X per year until you die. I think current annuity rats are around £100K to buy a £3K p.a. annuity, so work out how many millions you'd need to save to retire comfortably. The BA contribution is 12% of pensionable pay which is only actually about 75% of basic, so the real contribution rate is 9%. This is significantly lower than Virgin and GB.

4) About 200 I think.

For your next set of questions:

1) Probably about £3000pcm at a rough guess.

2) Currently at least 10 years short haul and 15 years long haul. If the retirement age restriction is lifted in 2006 then add a minimum of 5 years to that. Bear in mind that there are probably the best part 1000 pilots in BA who are 30 or younger. They will get a command before you and if you are over 30 then they will also outlast you in BA.

If all you want to do is long haul then go to Virgin. Fly less hours with better cabin crew and you don't get the constant sh1t you get flying for BA.

Human Factor
1st Oct 2004, 14:25
Mentioned this in the past:

If you join BA tomorrow, you will not get a command for a very long time. Hand Solo is probably about right. Since the new pay deal, a SH command occurs at LGW at a seniority number of approximately 1800, SH LHR at 1400, LH LHR at 1000 (ish). If you join tomorrow, you seniority number will be 3100 ish. As the large retirement bubble ends (plus the advent of new legislation in 2006), your seniority number will not change by very much (probably around 50 places per year). You do the the maths.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of senior guys aged around 30. For example, I flew with a 777 skipper the other week who was 36. He will be a long haul captain for 19 to 26 years, depending on when he retires. Bear in mind, he joined at 19 or thereabouts so it's taken him 17 years. Talk about "right place at the right time".

DEPs will almost certainly join on the A320 or the 777. There is enough demand from within to fly the -400.

er82
1st Oct 2004, 15:26
Seeing as there seems to be a number of BA crew replying to this post, I might just hi-jack it! Seems that now the DEP scheme for type-rated pilots has closed, BA have asked Oxford for 24 graduates from the APP scheme. How come BA haven't advertised for non-type rated pilots first, who perhaps have lots of experience just not the required type-rating??

If anyone can give an idea as to whether they might advertise for such great people like myself (!) then please let me know!

Ta!

Hand Solo
1st Oct 2004, 15:53
I thought the last DEP recruitment drive widened the criteria to those with a 737 or 757/767 rating as well? BA's priority in recruitment has always been DEPs and CEPs, but as the CEP program is gone they seem to be trying to substitiute it with the Oxford graduates. It'll be interesting to see if they get 24 takers as the new entrants would join on a significantly reduced salary (only slightly greater than CEPs) with the same long time to command. They'd get more cash and a quicker command at Easy! When that source of recruits runs dry then BA will have to consider their position again.

Human Factor
1st Oct 2004, 16:13
I thought the last DEP recruitment drive widened the criteria to those with a 737 or 757/767 rating as well?

My mistake. You are correct. Can't see many takers for SHaG though...

expedite_climb
1st Oct 2004, 16:39
Hand Solo - and if the sucess rate through the assessment is at the same rate as the DEP's at the moment then they'll need a lot of suitable people invited to interview !

cirrostratus
1st Oct 2004, 18:09
Why are they advertising for 757/767 drivers if new comers will go onto the 777?

expedite_climb
1st Oct 2004, 18:11
cirro.

If you are current on e.g. 757 you can do a 'short course' which is shorter, and hence cheaper than a full conversion onto the 777 (or 747 for that matter).

er82
1st Oct 2004, 18:14
The DEP recruitment asked for anyone with a type rating on either the 737, 757/767 or 777 or the A320.
This application closed yesterday.

Why would they now take guys straight out of training school when they could advertise for crew with so many hours, airline experience but who don't have the necessray type-rating. Am pretty sure there's lots of us who would apply and pay for the type-rating - after all pretty much every other airline asks you to. BA would be no different.

Oh, and am pretty sure that any of the OAT graduates who got offered a job would take it!

Human Factor
1st Oct 2004, 18:21
Why would they now take guys straight out of training school when they could advertise for crew with so many hours, airline experience but who don't have the necessray type-rating.

Because even with BA paying for a type-rating, the five year engagement freeze at a low (practically cadet level) pay makes it cheaper for them to recruit from the schools.

scroggs
2nd Oct 2004, 00:43
The BA recruitment of 24 fATPLs from FTOs (not just Oxford) seems to be primarily aimed at recovering some of those who were dumped from the CEP scheme after 9/11. In other words, they are a known quantity as they've been through all the BA recruiting procedure before.

Da Dog
2nd Oct 2004, 07:55
In BA's quest to save money, they have been very clever with both CAP manipulation and the posting of pilots from surplus fleets. This has meant that recrutment has been pushed from sept 04 to jan 05.

The response for type rated pilots for 777 and 747 has been poor, therefore expect to see more freeze waivers from the SHAG fleet onto these types circa jan 04. The 737 trainers have been told to expect 6 DEPs per month from spring 05. Well that was last weeks plan;)

EDIT Seems that the students from OATS/WMU will be destined for SHAG....... just a guess :ok:

Cough
4th Oct 2004, 10:25
Hand,

The 737 was going to be in surplus, but now that the bus is not coming to LGW and the leases on the -500's have been extended (poss 73NG's) I leave you to guess the rest... (C/DEP's for LGW):D

er82
4th Oct 2004, 14:00
Cough

yes but when are BA going to advertise again for such crews.... will they be taking on non-type rated?!?

Spearing Britney
8th Oct 2004, 12:47
Some type rated 737 bodys now have BA contracts and are off to LGW on the 737 from January I hear...

touchedrunway?
8th Oct 2004, 23:36
Have been told by a source that there may be Airbus induction courses on the 7th Jan 2005, B737 courses on the 6th, and B757/767 courses to be anounced a couple of weeks later?
No LH DEP's for the moment.
No further Non type rated recruitment for a while....unconfirmed??
Obviously have what they need.....bugger!!

expedite_climb
9th Oct 2004, 17:49
touchedrunway - there is a 744 DEP course with at least 5 people on it late Jan. None of them have type ratings.

Absorbant With Wings
9th Oct 2004, 18:16
expedite_climb,
That is exactly what the Galley FM grapevine told me earlier today. Any news on other offers for other fleets?

Spearing Britney
9th Oct 2004, 20:30
Anyone else heard of the 75/76 getting bodies, thought it was full? And isn't the 747 oversubscribed with internal bids? All change it seems...

William A Bong
11th Oct 2004, 21:29
If the take up rate for 747 -400 type rated crews was very low, how come that nine type rated f/o's from GSS all failed to get past day one of the interview process. If all of them are that poor why are BA allowing them to fly BA cargo? Or could it be that ES (the M O'L of the cargo world) at GSS is extending his dictatorship to BA as well.

Carnage Matey!
12th Oct 2004, 01:10
I doubt ES has any influence, he wasn't exactly the most popular man in BA when he was there. The interview process isn't intended to work out who can fly a 744, it's there to work out who will fit in with the BA culture and be able to operate effectively with other BA staff from all departments. It is by no means perfect, but it does weed out the extreme and the unusual characters. Sometimes perfectly good guys fall foul of the process, but thats exactly the same as any other job interview process anywhere else in the world. The question of flying BA cargo is irrelevant as GSS is a separate company (though it shouldn't be IMHO) and cargo doesn't answer back.

think thin
12th Oct 2004, 02:08
how come i know somebody who has been taken on 737 at lgw?
to everyone : if you are a 737 Captain at Easyjet and 40 years old . would you go to B A or Virgin not married no kids and pissed off with the job. is the grass greener?

snooky
12th Oct 2004, 09:46
Think thin, don't know about Virgin, but if you're hacked off now it's probably a very mild dose compared to what BA will give you.
Be warned!

skery1a
12th Oct 2004, 10:11
Hi all

Question for the one's in the know,

From yesterday ba widened the criteria for DEP.

on top of type rated pilots the they are now looking for
non type rated jet and turbo prop pilots.
check it out on www.britishairwaysjobs.com

My questions are: 1.how many type rated pilots did they get?

2.how many pilots are they still looking for?

The only thing that seems strange to me in the process is
that all airlines are trying to safe money on all fronts, ie
making us flying around on minimum fuel and on the other hand spending vasts amount of money on recruitment, where they have
a pool of pilots ,ie GSS,BACX , they know everything they need to know from years, of training which is more less supervised by ba managers.
I probably haven't got the bigger picture or what.

Shuttleworth
20th Oct 2004, 08:25
Sick - you rightly said how BA have lowered the requirements....
Absolutely.!!!!! I hear that the recent interviews did not provide many "acceptable" ( their words) guys.

At this rate they will have to start sponsoring again!!!!!

I'm afraid our mgt here had no idea about the perception of BA in the job market.
Their initial advert for 777 or 747 type rated guys just highlighted their pompous attitude.

When the DEP req't was thrown up a year or so ago they thought other pilots would be beating down our door (all 777 or 747 type rated.)

Happily they are now seeing otherwise.

Thanks to pprune and other improved forms of info gathering .... guys realise that BA has certain drawbacks.

(i) Pay is only industry average.
(ii) Applicants now may NEVER get a command at BA
(iii) They (BA) work you very hard; eg 5 transatlantic trips per month on the 777 and you will NOT have a happy work life balance on any BA fleet with junior seniority. ( Bidline - the BA rostering system ensures that senior pilots get exactly what they want ... but it is always at someone elses expense... see other threads for info).
(iv) LHR is the worlds worst airport and operating there with BA's bizarre rules for ground transport and cabin crew hours will frustrate you !
(iiii) A family home in an area with good state schools near LHR will cost you 650K, maybe more. Commuting to LHR is not easy and journey times are unpredictable.

From what I can see, many guys are staying put in their existing outfits. ( except perhaps for the sad case of some of the MYT pilots) .
Some of my friends made moves to Cathay Cargo, Dragonair and are really glad now that they didn't join BA.
Others who did give up their seats(both left and right) with JMC, Midland etc and moved to BA in the last 5 years really regret it .

Many pilots reading this site, I suspect, aspire to Cathay, Emirates or Virgin but BA is not proving to be a desirable choice.

africacore
20th Oct 2004, 08:57
Guys,
I am on the elite fleet in a good position.
Cojo744 half way up the list
IMHO Do not touch Ba with a barge pole.
They think they (the management)are gods gift but are just arrogant.
VS CX EK - go for whovever pays the most money
No chance of a lh command,
Unless of course you have a fetish for fat and 50 mags,
have they stopped advertising for cabin crew in readers wives yet?
Africacore

behind_the_second_midland
20th Oct 2004, 18:01
Pulman

Before your selection.

As well as Whether/weather get a grip of strait/straight.

expedite_climb
21st Oct 2004, 13:32
Sick,

How many guys are seconded to GSS from BA ?

tster744
22nd Oct 2004, 08:53
5 seconded to GSS at the moment

5 more to follow in this training year allegedy..

as was said earlier on...
The interview process isn't intended to work out who can fly a 744, it's there to work out who will fit in with the BA culture and be able to operate effectively with other BA staff from all departments

Which given the vitriol the GSS co-pilots have been dishing out to our guys on secondment and to other BA pilots downroute, entirely explains why non of them passed the selection!

They're playing into our hands tho - it only aids our case to bring it all back inhouse where it rightfully should be...

Hand Solo
22nd Oct 2004, 14:13
Infact one wrote a letter to BALPA to express exactly that, and to ask why the GSS FOs are still being treated so abysmally.

Do you have a date for that letter? The only one similar in the Log I remember was from a retired BA 747 skipper who was working for GSS, no doubt for peanuts to supplement his 6 figure crystallised pension.

GSS may one day walk away from BA as a customer (or at least take on others) - Other customers ARE being actively sought; Then you know where you can stick your secondments.

GSS exists solely to serve BA World Cargo. Perhaps other customers will be found in due course, but how long will it take to get four or five 744Fs worth to replace BAWCs work? If GSS walk away then thats no bad thing for BA pilots. The work would have to be taken in house so there'd be no need for secondments, they'd all be bona fide BA jobs.

Hand Solo
22nd Oct 2004, 14:57
The walking scenario is still unlikely despite a shortage of 744s. You'd need to find a single customer or group of customers who would commit to taking all BAWCs capacity on a long term basis at the same or better rates. There's no way BAWC would permit GSS to bump their cargo from some flights in favour of another customers, they're far too mercenary for that. I think the moment GSS failed to put BAWC first then BAWC would be the ones threatening to walk. They can take the loss, GSS can't.

I did ask Jim McAuslan about GSS prior to a recent BALPA meeting. He was of the opinion that the long term goal is for all the cargo work to be flown in-house by BA.

4AD
22nd Oct 2004, 16:51
I've been amazed to read some of the posts from BA guys here. I'm in the hold pool and of course have my eyes open to the fact that BA isn't the company it was 10 years ago. But from the posts on this thread it seems most guys with a stable jet job in the UK are better staying put than leaving for Big Airways. Do people who joined BA from the likes of Midland and jmc really regret their decision? Or has time and a bit of misplaced nostalgia jaundiced their views?

Is life really that bad as a junior FO there?

Human Factor
22nd Oct 2004, 18:09
Is life really that bad as a junior FO there?

Not necessarily. It depends which fleet you end up on and what your particular interest is. On the 777, you will do five or six trips a month (mainly Eastern Seaboard or Saudi). On the -400, you will do 4 trips a month (very similar trips to the 777 except you will get one 'seeded' trip per month - ie. JNB or LAX). On the short-haul fleets, you will work hard although destinations are less relevant, however you will have to compromise your whole month to achieve a specific day off (as is the case with longhaul). In all cases, you will work a lot of weekends. As your seniority increases, your lifestyle will improve. At my level, I achieve either decent trips or 95% of my desired days off, not both. In the top third, you would probably achieve both. There are likely to be very few places available on the -400, although a large number are to be recruited onto the 777. BA is now advertising for Self Sponsored pilots, who would almost certainly go onto the Airbus or the 737.

The only drawback is that if you join now, you're likely to remain junior for a lot longer than perhaps you would have done in the past. Personally, I have been in seven years and I'm a third of the way up the seniority list, as I joined at the start of the retirement bulge. I have at least twenty five years remaining (depending on the retirement age) and there are people who are younger and more senior than me. ie. They will still be very senior in BA after I retire!

Sadly, for anyone joining now, the retirement bulge has ended so there will be very little movement over the next few years. Looking further ahead, since the late 80's there has been a good spread of ages joining at relatively regular intervals, so the numbers of retirements will remain reasonably constant. There is unlikely to be another 'bulge'. This is before the 2006 legislation is taken into account.

Hope this helps. Once you've got some seniority, life improves immeasurably.

4AD
22nd Oct 2004, 18:43
Human Factor

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure whether I'll see a lifestyle improvement if I move, but I guess the long term prospects for stability and suchlike are there. Minimun of ten years to command versus imminent command is a trickier issue to reconcile... :confused:

How many weekends might a junior guy expect to get off per month? Are we talking zero month in month out!?

Thanks for the gen.

LVL CHG
22nd Oct 2004, 19:55
Let's say you get hired onto BA and you are put on the 737 fleet out of LGW. I believe there is a 3 year seat hold (maybe more). What is the likelihood that you could then successfully bid 777 FO? With only 3 years of seniority, what is the likelihood that you would still be on reserve (albeit on the 777 fleet) for many years to come?

Lastly, what is life like on the 737 out of LGW - positive or negative given the shorthaul lifestyle/sectors? How does it compare to shorthaul Airbus out of LHR?

Cheers

NigelOnDraft
22nd Oct 2004, 22:16
4AD

How many weekends might a junior guy expect to get off per month? Are we talking zero month in month out!? Aside from Leave / Duty Free weeks, best you work on Zero for the first 3-4 years. Anything better than that is a bonus... You might get a few by luck, but they will be random, and nothing to do with your preferences / bidding.

I believe there is a 3 year seat hold (maybe more). First 5 years is postings (or not) "entirely at the discretion of BA". So if they reinvent ATPs out of Macrihanish, off you go if BA want...

What is the likelihood that you could then successfully bid 777 FO? 3 problems:
1. You need the 5 year "freeze" to be waived, or wait 5 years <G>
2. You then need to successfully bid i.e. your current fleet can spare you, the new fleet / seat needs people, AND you are senior enough to be eligible for that seat.
3. And, like the P2s now waiting for LH, it all gets scr*wed up, because BA recruit a load of DEPs directly onto the 777, and take all the slots that would have been due in 2 above.

Bear in mind with 2006 coming along, all "traditional" progression will slow down. And maybe in disproportionate ways - just a small slow down in retirements could mean all LH P2s coming in as DEPs i.e. anyone recruited onto SH will not see a P2 LH slot before say a SH Command (10 years? 15 years?).

Be very careful... check out the red tails <G>

Justbelowcap
22nd Oct 2004, 23:10
Nigelondraft is not quite right in his understanding of our P&P process. DEP's cannot be put onto LH fleets ahead of successful internal bidders, the only time this can occur is for pilots that have successfully bid for a fleet change but are still in their first 5 years of service which means BA can ignore their bid. Basically it means that you will be able to move to any LH fleet after 5 years.

737 LGW work is fairly similar to LHR work but with a lot less nightstops.

Roster wise you will not get much choice to start with but will generally get at least one weekend off a month. However the best thing is that once published your roster can't be changed. Heaven if you've come from less stable operations. Nobody is junior for long.....not that it feels that way at the time.

Pay is the best it has ever been for new joiners. Last years pay restructuring meant that new joinewrs have won big time at the expense of the more Senior FO's on LH.

Working out of LHR is a pain in the arse........roll on T5.

NigelOnDraft
23rd Oct 2004, 12:29
JBC

Nigelondraft is not quite right in his understanding of our P&P process. DEP's cannot be put onto LH fleets ahead of successful internal bidders, the only time this can occur is for pilots that have successfully bid for a fleet change but are still in their first 5 years of service which means BA can ignore their bid I was not aware of that... thanks for correcting me.

However (!):Basically it means that you will be able to move to any LH fleet after 5 years I would still disagree with this. Reasons:
Post 2006 all progression will slow down - how much who knows, but somewhere between no effect and a complete standstill
Whilst you are frozen on SH for your 5 years - the DEPs are coming in and taking the slots, and then sticking in them.
People above you wanting the slots, but held back as well...
In short, I don't think you could guarantee anybody LH after 5 years.... especially post 2006... all IMHO of course <G>

NoD

behind_the_second_midland
23rd Oct 2004, 13:09
Just below CAP.

I know where you are coming from but you may be slightly incorrect.

Can't BA place DEP's on the fleet ahead of bidders?

They just change the requirement on Cassandra and therefore offer less courses internally. You never have a course until you're on it.

ie instead of 40 courses on Cassandra they can have 30 and 10 DEP's??

As for moving to LH after 5 years. Well you can bid but there'sno guarantee. Its only in the last 7 years or so that RHS 744 came below about 8 years service.

BTSM

Justbelowcap
23rd Oct 2004, 16:34
Fair point about 2006...but who knows what is going to happen...aviation will probably be exempt.

All aspirational bids have to be honoured before any external applicants can move onto a fleet. If there are 40 places on the -400 and 40 unfrozen pilots bid for -400 places then there will be no DEP's on the -400. However many of the guys who are bidding at the moment are under either the initial 5 year freeze or in a 4 year equipment freeze. Which is why the company can put pilots on the LH fleets. In the not too distant future, as the LGW pilots become unfrozen, I think it highly unlikely that any DEP's will go to the -400.

(A note of caution to those joining, the last lot of DEP's were given -400 slots. It even had this written on their contract. However when they turned up for day one they were all put on the 'bus. Some have really enjoyed it and will probably never go LH but some were VERY pissed off as they commuted from the furthest flung parts of the UK. BA can do what they like with you in the first five years. Please bear in mind that what is written on the contract may not be the aircraft you end up on. Some guys even completed the -400 sim before being moved to the 'bus.)

behind the second midland

Don't take my word for it ask SM the BALPA rep or even better look at the BALPA BA forum. BA can't reduce the numbers for internal applicants and then put a DEP on that fleet. DEP's are used to fill in the gaps.
Promise:D

tster744
24th Oct 2004, 23:04
Sick
i'm sorry i have appear to have touched a nerve! You are way wide of the mark concerning my views on GSS. Just to set things straight...

all those folk you hold in such low regards
I do not regard GSS pilots as such! I do regard the BA/GSS management handling of the situation in such low regards - i'm sure just as you do!

All the secondees have been treated with the utmost courtesy and co-operation
Professionally yes, of course!
Personally - i have witnessed some pretty impressive outbursts from GSS co-pilots downroute - often unprovoked. I can totally understand why they are so p***sed off - but the point i was making was launching outbursts at BA pilots/interviewers certainly wouldnt aid recruitment chances...
We should both be targetting our respective displeasure at our managements, NOT each other..

why the GSS FOs are still being treated so abysmally I quite agree with this - as do most BA pilots. This compromise deal is a LOSE/LOSE for both of us. We're not happy and you're not happy...

Other customers ARE being actively sought
Great news - i would totally support that, and good luck to you guys if it comes off, why not! BA cargo is our business however - and so we want to be flying if for our outfit - just as you do with yours...
finally
Oh, and if need be I shall personally see to it that the fullest extent of TUPE regulations will be applied, so as to ensure that GSS Captains become BA Captains and further delay your promotion, just like you are doing to so many GSS FOs.
Well i would be cheering if that were the case - as it would be a WIN/WIN for both GSS and BA pilots - all the flying inhouse on BA T'snC's and in the longterm that would be better for both of our careers...dont you agree?

Human Factor
25th Oct 2004, 00:39
4AD,

Sorry for the late reply, been away. Don't hold your breath about weekends off. You may be able to swap trips with colleagues if you're desperate but (certainly with Bidline at LHR) you're unlikely to see very many. As someone said, plan on zero and any more is a bonus. There may be more chance of the odd weekend off at LGW (they use the Carmen bidding system which I'm not familiar with).

Expect 15 years plus to a short haul command. I'm one of the luckier ones. As I joined at the start of the retirement bulge, I can expect a junior shorthaul command after around 12 years (basically another 5) and a junior longhaul command around 17 years (another 10). There are a large number of us who will be in the left seat for 20 years potentially so keep in mind that it's "Dead Man's Shoes". Depending on your age (ie. at what point you will retire), a long haul command may not ever happen for you.

It's not all doom and gloom by any means. Roster stability is like nothing else. Changes are pretty rare after publication. The money isn't bad either, although not as good as it used to be.

Keep in mind though, all LHR fleets are contracted for the full 900 flying hours per year (or 1043 credit hours in actual fact - the end result is pretty much the same :zzz: ). If you want longhaul, this is worth taking into account when our nearest neighbours in red work to 750 flying hours for not dissimilar money.

4AD
26th Oct 2004, 11:20
Thanks HF,

More useful food for thought...

4AD

Justbelowcap
28th Oct 2004, 10:51
Normal Nigel

There speaks the voice of somebody with very romantic illusions of the world around them, where the grass is always greener. In this world all doctors are high earners, all lawyers are greedy and paid beyond all our dreams. Well I've news for you that just isn't the case. I actually started life as a lawyer, then trained as a barrister but had to give it all up because sometimes you just have to do the thing that you love most. For me that was flying. Anybody who chooses a profession because of the renumeration will pay a high price for the once a month high received when looking at the payslip.

Out of the five or so people that I keep in contact with who have stayed in the legal profession only one earns more than I do. I've been quite lucky in my BA life but to assume that every lawyer/barrister is living the LA Law life is simply not true.

My next door neighbour is a GP. Again he earns nothing like the amount I take home each month. Also if you think BA is badly run you should hear stories about the NHS. Makes EWS seem like a smooth running swiss clock. His time as a junior doctor is comparable to how many pilots are treated early on in their working life.

Their view of how pilots are treated is as romantic as your view of the other professions.

If you want to fly don't do it for the money because a cockpit is a lonely place for somebody who doesn't love flying. I've flown with guys who, deep down, are afraid of flying having joined the airline for the wrong reasons. These poor people are in a constant state of panic, the slightest noise or bump making them react as if the aircraft will fall out the sky. A sad way to earn your living.

If you want to fly then BA still offers you the best long term security. We work hard but the pay is good. The new pension is not so great but that is a function of society and not the airline. Again it pays to be in the airline with the greatest chance of long term survival, as far as pensions are concerned, in the UK that is still BA. Seniority is everything, you'd be a fool to turn down LGW because the differance of even a hundred places can change your career massively. 737 is a good aircraft to start flying on, LGW has a pretty good network. But most importantly of all you will only be there for a few years, if thats what you want, and when those precious commands start becoming availiable you will get them before your mates who all those years ago wanted to wait till they were offered 777. Anybody who turns down a fleet at BA with the intention of waiting for a "better" fleet hasn't understood how the seniority system works.

1. The senior pilot ALWAYS gets the roster he wants before the next most senior. For the rest of your career.
2. The senior pilot ALWAYS gets to fly on the aircraft he wants before the next most senior. For the rest of your career.
3. The senior pilot will ALWAYS get his chance at command before the next most senior. For the rest of your career.

In the past one place has made the difference between getting a command after 7 years or waiting 17 years. All those that have taken LGW places will get their commands before those waiting for 747 places. And BA can do what it wants with you in the first 5 years...so 747 may turn out to be the 'bus on day 2. That's what happened with the last lot of DEP's. If you want to join BA then take the first job that is offered.

MAX
29th Oct 2004, 13:42
Any 75/76 Bods been offered a placement and which fleet?

MAX

expedite_climb
29th Oct 2004, 13:45
Max,

I'm 757 current and havent yet. People below me and above me who are 737 rated have been offered 737's.....

mr ripley
29th Apr 2005, 07:44
Sorry to drag this up again, but as a potential DEP, if you had a choice of 777, 767/757 or 744, what would you choose?

I have had several people tell me that 767/757 is the way to go.

Regards

Hot Wings
29th Apr 2005, 09:18
744 (aka the en-suite fleet), 757/767, 777. Good luck!

Human Factor
29th Apr 2005, 11:14
As a junior DEP, I would choose 747-400, 777 and 7576 in that order.

The reason being, at the bottom of the pile, there isn't a great deal in it between the -400 and the 777. Ok, on the -400 you will probably get a seeded blind line, which means you will get something like an LAX and four 'guaranteed' days off around it but otherwise you will get largely two-crew trips (think JFK, PHL, LOS, etc.) which is what you would get on the 777. There is a seeded blind line trial on the 777 at the moment which, if it goes permanent, will mean a seeded trip (probably an East Coast, as most of the trips are of that sort of nature) but with the same 'guaranteed' four days off around it.

The 7576 does a mix of LH and SH flying, although the longhaul trips (generally to Africa although there's a MAN/JFK and NAS) can get quite senior so you'd be doing mostly shorthaul. It is considered a good fleet though.

If money is an issue, you will be paid more or less the same on the -400 and the 777, and marginally less on the 7576 as BA consider it "Medium Haul".

MAX
30th Apr 2005, 10:32
Are they even offering 75/76 positions? As a rated and longhaul experienced 75/76 bod they offered me the A320. :confused:

MAX:cool: