PDA

View Full Version : Canadian ATPL to US ATP - what do you actually get?

Carrier
27th Sep 2004, 07:05
I understand that the holder of a Canadian ATPL can obtain a US ATP at schools such as ATP Inc. I would like to know exactly what goes on the ATP. Does the holder of a Canadian ATPL with all the ratings, land and sea, single and multi-engine, class 1 instrument, various type ratings etc automatically get all of these on the US ATP with the one flight test in a Seminole or does one just get a basic land and multi-engine ATP and then have to do a series of follow up flight tests in float and complex single engined planes and various types?
It would be very convenient to have the lot transferred with one flight test in a Seminole but it sounds too good to be true.

lead zeppelin
28th Sep 2004, 22:57
Carrier, I did my FAA ATP 4 years ago while having a Canadian ATPL.

I wrote the ATP exam first using the excellent Gliems book to prepare. You can write the exam in Canada at some places - check the FAA website for locations.

As for the flight test, I did it in an Aztec, and have an ATP for multi-engine aircraft. I'm pretty sure you'll have to do a single engine separately, (same for floats).

If you're thinking of working down there, look into the green card first (unless you already have one, or have citizenship). The green card AKA H1B Visa can be very very very very difficult for a Canadian pilot to get.

Good Luck.

Rosbif
1st Oct 2004, 18:42
So much for free trade. Did you know that pilots are not considered as "professionals" in the US, and as such are not qualified for TN visas like other professionals from NAFTA countries. (models or 'consultants, for example !)
Guess who went to congress to make sure that we stayed off the list. Yes folks, our fantastic union ALPA. Most expensive magazine subscription I ever bought.
So, ALPA : Are pilots professionals or not ?