PDA

View Full Version : Brooklands Wellington

Boy_From_Brazil
30th Jun 2004, 18:44
After reading a thread on the Military forum, my curiosity got aroused about the status of the rebuild of the Wellington at Brooklands.

I last saw it about 5 or 6 years ago and it had a very long way to go. The enthusiasm of the restoration team was incredible, with some high quality work taking place.

Can anyone give an update?

Thanks
BFB

BeauMan
1st Jul 2004, 12:20
I believe the retoration has been completed now, but surely someone else far more knowledgeable than me (JDK...?) can elaborate further.

The image shown here... http://www.users.myisp.co.uk/~climengs/brooklands/brook_05.htm shows the Wellington on it's legs, having been restored to full original spec in places, and preserved in 'as found' condition in others.

Note to self - go and visit Brooklands this year...

Boy_From_Brazil
2nd Jul 2004, 11:12
BeauMan

Thanks for the link. I did look on the Brooklands website but I didnt find very much on the project. It seems to have come a long way.

I was interested to see that the Link trainer donated by Esher Air Cadets is also being made operational again. My son had a few lessons in that particular trainer, he is now flying C17s in the RAF!! I also remember the RAF guys in the NBC suits arriving to strip out the old instruments that were painted with radioactive luminescent paint.

BFB

Duxford_Eagles
2nd Jul 2004, 11:15
BFB, I'm planning to visit Brooklands in the near future, I'll post some photos on here when I've been.

Rob

Boy_From_Brazil
2nd Jul 2004, 16:24
DE

Thanks I would really appreciate it. Perhaps you can also take one of the Link Trainer!

BFB