PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for Soaring Club in DXB area

Airgus
23rd Jun 2004, 21:03
I will move soon to DXB, I wonder if someone knows about a soaring (gliding) club over there?

I am interesting in flying tow-planes and gliders during my free time.

Thanks

AG.-;)

max6462
23rd Jun 2004, 21:27
Hey there!
I am here in DXB. there is not such a thing as far as I know.
But, contact me via PM when you get here.
I am instructor, lot of experience in the alps.
I see a few problem to fly here in a glider:
1: it is very hot, I mean very, could be a problem in the cockpit.
2: where to land on Xcountry flights? Ok you made it safe in the desert, now what???
3:Let me check about regs see what is feasible.
Seems like there is a huge inversion up to 10000FT, but some flying guys could give us more infos on that. Still it is quite bumpy, could be intersting as far as thermals.
We'll keep in touch !
cheers.:ok:

Invictus
24th Jun 2004, 04:02
From an ATC's perspective...

Unless you have contacts at the top (the very top), its not gonna happen.

Invictus

Airgus
24th Jun 2004, 04:08
Thanks for the answer guys.

So,... what about tennis club? (just kidding) :ok:

AirG.-

:)

Dan Winterland
25th Jun 2004, 22:46
Try sailing. Unpowered boats - the next best thing to unpowered aircraft. Lots of sailing in good conditions in the UAE.

Fox3snapshot
26th Jun 2004, 08:53
Whilst there is no Gliding activity in UAE, there is microlight, light aircraft flying and parachuting up at Umm Al Quwain. Not sure of the costings but the Dubai based bug smasher flying is Bl**dy expensive.

At least they allow sport and recreation flying to a certain extent in UAE, Oman for example does not allow GA to operate within country for security reasons (except transits). An Aussie guy was lobbying down there for years to try and get something going, the military were fine but the police had a different answer.

Next stop for gliding and a great GA scene in the Middle East......Jordon, go and float in the dead sea and visit Petra whilst your at it. :ok:

:cool:

wandrinabout
26th Jun 2004, 14:04
Wonderful advice there foxthree, thankyou.
Have you gone for a floater yourself?

Fox3snapshot
28th Jun 2004, 13:34
Didn't take you long did it....I'll have you know that even with my BMI I managed to sustain a state of floatyness in the Dead Sea.

:8