PDA

View Full Version : waterborne-raft-as-helipad?

pa42
8th Apr 2004, 23:26
a) I only claim to be sane during FAA medical exams.

b) latest caper: a double-pontoon flat floating platform with outboard motor (called 'pontoon boat' in USA fishing circles), which will flop on top of my flatbed helicopter trailer, then the R22 sits on top of that. Height overall 12 feet or so.

c) Whole parade tows to scenic giant western reservoirs (think Lake Meade, Lake Powell) for summer fun. Launch helicopter & pad together, loaded to capacity with water toys, abandon trailer, putt-putt off up the lake (at 5 knots) and suffer for 3-4 months.

d) the query: given that weight capacity is a non-issue, has the community discovered any surprisingly hairy interactions between helicopter and landing platform? Boat whipping back and forth desperately fleeing attacking helicopter's rotor wash? What goes wrong, & what are solutions?

e) visitors invited. call ahead so I can clear the deck.

Gaseous
9th Apr 2004, 08:31
I think the safest place for you is the middle of a very large lake!

Ascend Charlie
9th Apr 2004, 11:40
Unless this pontoon is big enough for you to have plenty of it visible in your window when sitting on it, then you will have some serious sensory problems on short finals.

It's OK while he raft is visible, but when you lose sight of it, you will see the water blowing away from you, and think you are moving backwards/ sidewards/ any which way but correct. Plus you will blow it around unless it has a sea anchor or is mooored or is underway. If underway, make sure the driver is steering straight ahead and not trying to position himself under you - huge feedback errors.

Get a bigger boat - 75 meters should be OK. How big is yours, Giovanni 109?

Genghis the Engineer
10th Apr 2004, 10:32
Wimp

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/jim912micros/myhomepage/images_new/gallery/minitop2.jpg

(No, not me, but not fabricated either - the pilot has the dubious honour of having been the first civilian instructor that I ever flew with. Against all odds, the chap is still alive and teaching.)

G

N.B. Yes, okay, not really anything to do with the thread - but I'm in that sort of mood today. Feel free to delete it Heliport if you think it appropriate.