PDA

View Full Version : volunteer reserve (motorglider instruction)

blue up
24th Feb 2004, 03:49
I've been invited to put myself forwards for one of the VGS instuctor places. I've never been in the RAF (and CERTAINLY not the army!!) and wondered if anyone has any advice as to potential problems for me as a current 757/767 charter F/O. FTL problems, insurance, licencing etc etc.
Any advice or personal experiences would be welcome.

:O

jayteeto
24th Feb 2004, 05:44
I do believe that private flying in moderation does not affect crew limits, only commercial flying counts. Good luck, I joined cosford AEF and love it!!

ACW 335
25th Feb 2004, 02:17
Blue Up,
Im on a VGS (flying motor gliders) - any Questions you have feel free to PM me or Email me. Its a bit much and complicated to post on here!! Which VGS is it you are going to??

dinoorin
25th Feb 2004, 04:37
I have been instructing with a vgs for a while now and can fully recomend it. Does take a degree of commitment but learning the ropes is good fun. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it.

blue up
27th Feb 2004, 16:19
The company require that I ensure I am insured to do this flying and that it won't make me fatigued for the next airline flying duty (as if airline fling didn't knacker me enough!)
I'm hoping that this will get my PPL priveledges back and get me tailwheel rights. I'm buying a small single seater to rebuild from a hulk and hope to get some "ins" with the paintshop etc at St Athan.

Dumb question, but.....what do I call the BOSS? Is he SIR (saluting etc) or is it acceptable to refer to him by name?

ACW 335
27th Feb 2004, 16:52
Im not sure how insurance works at other schools, but at our school, we get comprehensive cover from HQAC i believe. We pay subs per year of £36 and insurance cover is taken out of that.

Once you have 70 hours on type, you may apply to the CAA for a TMG rating, this enables you to use your vigilant hours and log them under you PPL as well - which can keep you current etc.

St Athan is a small VGS by comparison to most. i believe it only has 2 A/c, so you shouldn't gt too tird as there is less to do. There is a lot of work - Qualified individuals (which is every person over Grade 1 status) have to do basic maintence/engineering of the A/c each morning and evening. Refueling is also don by hand. That is the bulk of the work!!

Most Boss's like to be called Boss (so you can get out of calliing him sir!)

I am looking to transfer to St Athan when i go to uni in Swansea in September.