PDA

View Full Version : Scanner, Printer and XP

wink wink
9th Oct 2003, 02:22
Now since seeing there are a few which intelligent guys here can you help me out on my problem.

My computer has one parrellel port but I have a scanner and printer which are both parellel port. Previouly on windows Me it was no problem to run my printer to the scanner and the scanner to the computer. However after am XP installation I can no longer operate them this way. With my printer Lexmark Z43 running to the scanner I alsway recieve a message "trouble communicating with Printer" On order to use these devices I have to unplug and plug in everytime. Not a big deal. But I was wondering if there was a simple solution that I have missed. I have all updated drivers and I have made sure "Bidirectional communication" is enabled. My scanner is a canon N640P.

thanks

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Oct 2003, 02:51
wink wink,

Two options:

1) In the BIOS change the Parallel Port Modes. Try each one and see if any of them help:

SPP : Standard Parallel Port
EPP : Enhanced Parallel Port
ECP : Extended Capability Port
ECP + EPP : Extended Capability Port + Enhanced Parallel Port

2) Buy a Parallel Port PCI Card. (You just put it in one of your computer's empty PCI Slots and instant LPT2 Port.)

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/15-104-409-04.JPG

Take Care,

Richard

wink wink
9th Oct 2003, 03:04
I will stick to plugging in and out. That I understand to do. I only use my scanner ocassionally so it isn't a huge problem, I was more curious if I had done something wrong. Thanks for your input however. One more question is there such a thing as a parellel to ubs "cord" for lack of better word?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Oct 2003, 03:15
wink wink

Something like this:

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-999-302-02.JPG

They run anywhere from $15.00 to $30.00 in the US. My guess is you can find it for about the same price in Pounds. (It seems that in the U.K. they like the exhance rate of 1 to 1 when talking about hardware.) If it is $1.00 in the U.S., it is £1.00 in the U.K. :rolleyes:

Take Care,

Richard

wink wink
9th Oct 2003, 03:19
The solution I was after! thanks a bunch!:D

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Oct 2003, 03:24
wink wink,

BYTECC
BAFFO Tech
BELKIN

All make adapters.