PDA

View Full Version : AOL Slowing down?

boeingbus2002
19th Sep 2003, 19:16
Hi, I have AOL v8 on dialup, and recently (past few weeks) noticed that the speed it accesses the net has dropped. Before it used to be around 54kbps now its down to 37kbps. Has anyone else had this, or is there somethingi can do to fix it,
Cheers

Cornish Jack
19th Sep 2003, 21:18
bb2002
Hi!, what did you upgrade from? I'm on aol 8 and my log-on varies from 38k to 42k. The only time I ever got 56k showing was when I used aol 3 and I'm fairly sure it was lying!! Mind you I reckon it has got worse and being a natural paranoic I'm sure it's aol trying to push me into broadband :yuk:

BLUE SKY THINKER
19th Sep 2003, 22:30
boeingbus2002.....

(probably not, but just a thought) Are you using a laptop and moving around? I do (likewise AOL/dial-up) regularly gettting 48kbs at home, but anything down to 27kbs around the country on other telephone lines. Location is definitely part of the equation, but not the whole story.

However, if you are talking about a deterioration at the same point, I did have a similar problem quite a while back that was resolved (maybe coincidentally) by changing the AOL telephone access numbers.

Incidentally, the above is based predominantly on AOLv.7, although 48kbs at home was still being attained during my brief foray with v.8 a couple of weeks ago, before rapidly reverting, due.....

(side issue)N.B.: .....(is it me!) the horrendous new colours and graphics. I've got absolutely no complaints about AOL as an ISP, but I do wish we could have an optional interface for 'grown-ups'.

boeingbus2002
20th Sep 2003, 05:49
I upgraded from v7, and its on a desktop. I too thought (think) its a conspiracy by AOL to get us to switch to Broadband!!
Sometimes while logging in, it freezes when it says the speed, and i have to reboot. (Or end prg by ctrl-alt-del)
Very odd!
But thanks for yr help anyway

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Sep 2003, 23:45
boeingbus2002,

Sometimes while logging in, it freezes when it says the speed, and i have to reboot.

It sounds like you are having other problems with AOL. Which Operating System are you running and when was the last time you did a fresh install?

Take Care,

Richard

boeingbus2002
22nd Sep 2003, 06:22
Using Win 98, fresh install was AOL7 last year. Recently upgraded to v8 by just doing the upgrade option. Do you suggest uninstalling it all (AOL) and reinstall v8?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Sep 2003, 12:58
boeingbus2002,

I meant a fresh install of Win98. When was the last time you did one on your computer?

Take Care,

Richard

AIRWAY
23rd Sep 2003, 15:42
AOL :mad: yesterday it took me half an hour to log in ( Dial up connection )... It always connects and then disconnects it is so :mad: ... Oh well pardon my language.

amanoffewwords
23rd Sep 2003, 16:27
I, for my sins, am required to install AOL on some of my customer's PCs on an almost daily basis (not my ISP of choice, but anyway).

I have noticed that it is giving more grief than it used to in the last few weeks. I would guess that something is up (or down really) at AOL since these events occur around SW London without a definitive pattern.

On the other hand I have never been able to get Tiscali to work anywhere, so I guess AOL's not that bad, usually...

boeingbus2002
23rd Sep 2003, 23:44
Fresh install of Win98?!!! Sounds a bit drastic. Will i loose all my settings etc?