PDA

View Full Version : Broadband and Dial up

Holdposition
5th Sep 2003, 04:41
Wonder if any can throw some help on this for me please, have been using dial up (AOL) for a few years now in my office and am just about to go broadband ( more then likely with AOL) however I use a laptop quite a lot at home and this means I think I need a seperate account to use at home via a dial up. Have spoken to AOL they say a two accounts would be needed, as I would use the laptop a fair bit like the idea of a flat rate fee as present, wondered if I had my line at home upgraded by BT to enable ADSL that would sort it but they say they want £28 month just for that without using their broadband. Hope I have explained this OK (think not) and if anyone has the answer, if there is one:) would appreciate it greatly, cheers and thanks.

BLUE SKY THINKER
5th Sep 2003, 06:06
Holdposition.....

Coincidentally, I have been investigating a similar dilema (likewise AOL) over the last day or so. Having only a laptop, I am looking to connect to broadband at home, but have the facility to 'dial up' when on the move.

I don't know if the office use element to your situation means that you would qualify for the same AOL domestic broadband rate as myself, £27.99 p.m., but I was advised that for £34p.m. I could have broadband with a 'dial up' facility; flat rate, NO call charges on both.

That said, I am seriously considering Pipex (http://www.pipex.net/) as a broadband alternative, having heard good reports (although I'm sure someone will disagree!) and in view of performance publicity (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/). This equates to £23.44/flat rate, no call charges with additional 'dial up' available for £7.05/call charges at 'local' rate (both figures inc. VAT).

(edit)PS: Good joining offer on Pipex.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Sep 2003, 06:08
Holdposition,

If you are going to go Broadband, set one up one account for home and one account up for work. (Once you go Broadband you will be spoiled almost immediately and will not want to use dialup again.) In each location you should setup a router so you have the safety of a hardware firewall and every computer at that location will be able to share the single broadband account.

You can use any company for your broadband service and then just get one AOL for Broadband account if you feel you really need to keep AOL.

Take Care,

Richard

Holdposition
9th Sep 2003, 00:46
Richard.....

Many thanks for your assistance, as ever you supply the answers to many questions, long may you reign!!!:)

I think I cap what you say, although I'm not particular about staying with AOL the fact of the matter is that we only have two computers in office, one only used for the net. This is the one which will have/get broadband for and really all I want to do is use my laptop at home, great if on broadband but dial up will do I suppose. My way of looking at it is that I would need two seperate broadband accounts, meaning two separate premiums!

I think their may be a way round this somehow but me of VERY limited technical knowhow dosen't see how, any idea's would be most helpful.

Cheers and thanks.

Front_Seat_Dreamer
9th Sep 2003, 01:02
Holdposition

Most of what you have asked has been answered above but if I may offer some advice.

One connection per address is correct but shop around for your ADSL provider as costs and services vary. Please bear in mind however BT provide all our infrastructure (unless you have a local cable company) so as much as it pains me to say this it is better sometimes to use them as in the past I have come across users that have had passwords changed on the connection between service provider and BT which makes for an interesting couple of days.

BLUE SKY THINKER Suggests Pipex and I would have to agree however ask around your neighbours as service varies in different locations in my experience.

Because of the relatively good take-up of ADSL I think there are about to be price cuts from what I have been reading of late, this will appear in the form of faster connections at similar prices to today but means that generally prices should fall.

I have to agree with Richard that once you use ADSL the dial up will become painful to use.

Tosh McCaber
9th Sep 2003, 06:41
Have been with Pipex now for the past three months, based on the recommendations on the forum. Absolutely no problems, and the difference from dial-up makes me kick myself that I didn't go broadband ages ago.

Pipex- much cheaper than BT or AOL, both to install and run,and much better value for money. Firewall and Anti-virus essential

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Sep 2003, 07:15
Holdposition,

Once you pick your boardband provider, let us know. We would be happy to help you setup your network and firewall so you get the most out of your internet connection.

Take Care,

Richard

Holdposition
11th Sep 2003, 20:40
Richard

Ii now have AOL broadband on my office pc ( 30 day trial) have looked at pipex which might be better way to go but if you can assist with a network for laptop ( strickly non- tech guy:) at home using this system would be appreciate it greatly.

Many thanks for all your help.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Sep 2003, 01:57
Holdposition,

If you are going to run your notebook both at work and at home, it is a lot easier if you have the same ISP in both locations. That will allow you to just plug in without dual accounts.

The second option would be to setup a Cable/DSL Router in both locations. The Router does all the work to get the internet up and running at the location and you just plug in to your network and you will have internet access. As long as you use the same network TCP/IP Addresses for both routers, you will be able to plug in at either location and have instant access to the internet.

We can go into greater detail when you decide whether to go AOL or Pipex.

Take Care,

Richard

Holdposition
18th Sep 2003, 18:28
Richard et al:

Many thanks for your help up to now it is appreciated, I have used AOL B/B for week now and will keep to that, hasn't dropped out and the speeds seem just as good as my neigbours if not a little better, mind you my office only 400 yards from exchange if that helps. If you can throw any light on how to setup this network so I don't have to use dial up at home, it would be most helpful.

Many thanks,

PPRuNe Pop
18th Sep 2003, 23:09
I originally suggested that Pipex were a good bet. At the time I went with them the offer was on their 'Extreme Solo', which is still good today I understand.

However, that was over 6 months ago. Never one single problem and it always connects very quickly at 576 Kbps(I just checked)

All for £23.44 per month - including VAT.

The choice, as they say, is yours.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Sep 2003, 23:21
Holdposition,

Now that you have AOL B/B at work, have AOL B/B put in at home too. Then you can plug in at either location and the notebook will just work, instant internet.

When you are ready to add more computers then we just add in routers at each location and you get the added protection of a hardware firewall along with multiple computers all wired together in a network. (But more on that when you are ready to make that leap.)

Take Care,

Richard

Keef
21st Sep 2003, 01:41
Kung Fu Tzu him say...

"Man who go broadband never want to be on dialup again."

I went to Pipex ADSL a year or so ago, and no regrets! I have a "Flyer" dial-up account for when I'm on the move, and can use that to read my Pipex mail via the POP mailbox with no problems.