PDA

View Full Version : E-Mail

Compass Call
1st Sep 2003, 07:07
Can anybody please tell me how to stop my e-mail from opening in the preview pane when I highlight it? I am using Windows ME and Outlook Express 6. After I have downloaded my e-mails they open instantly when I highlight them instead of my being able to preview and delete or open them as required. This has only started happening since I re-loaded Windows et all after I formatted my hard drive. Before I did this I could preview my e-mails and then either open them by double clicking them or delete them. :confused:
Thanks in advance.

CC

spekesoftly
1st Sep 2003, 08:49
Just a guess but you could try this:-

Tools/Options/Read - Uncheck the box marked 'Automatically download message when viewing in the Preview Pane'

Front_Seat_Dreamer
2nd Sep 2003, 02:41
CC

Nice easy one for a change in here :D

Go to your Inbox or similar then go to the View menu and choose Layout now simply untick the Show Preview pane box and that should be you.

Compass Call
2nd Sep 2003, 02:43
Spekesoftly

Thanks, I have already tried that with no luck.
Anybody else got any ideas?

CC

Front_Seat_Dreamer

Good try, but that gets rid of the preview pane completely. What I used to be able to do was to single click on the unopened message and read it without opening it, then I had the choice of either double clicking it to open it or I could delete it without opening it. Now even if I just single click it, it opens.
Anybody else?

CC

Front_Seat_Dreamer
2nd Sep 2003, 03:12
CC

Did the message pop up in a window or appear in the preview pane?

What about using Outlook and using the Messages with Autopreview option in the view menu.

Compass Call
2nd Sep 2003, 03:28
Front_Seat_Dreamer
The message would be in the preview pane but the envelope in the message list would 'open' instead of remaining closed. I am sure that there is some means of putting a 'time delay' on the message opening but I am darned if I can figure out how to do it.

CC

spekesoftly & Front_Seat_Dreamer

My next door neighbour has just come up with the answer to my problem:-
Go to 'Inbox' - 'Tools' - 'Read Tab', tick box "Mark message read after displaying for" then select the time up to 60 seconds and click 'Apply'.
This allows you up to one minute to preview the message before it 'opens'.
Thanks for exercising your grey matter on my behalf, it was very much appreciated.

CC

fobotcso
3rd Sep 2003, 06:18
There is another simple indirect solution to this.

Don't use the preview pane. Highlight the message you are interested in and click on "Forward". Your message opens ready for you to complete the addressee and add your own message to it ready for forwarding.

Having checked the message, close the window. You'll know then whether you want to open it properly.

spekesoftly
3rd Sep 2003, 17:13
CC,

Pleased to see that you got the problem fixed.

speke.